Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
One. iTunes was the only place I could find a digital high definition version of the movie. No Blu Ray or other sources. Everything else I rip from BR and keep on my PLEX or portable hard drives.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
0. When it comes to living in the Apple ecosystem, I draw the line at purchasing movies. I'm sticking with physical media for as long as I can.

In general though, I don't buy movies that often unless I know I'll watch them at least several times otherwise it's a waste of money.

Physical media is a total pain. I'd rather digital download and streaming. It's much much more convenient than having to take a disc out of a case, and put it in a player. I only buy physical media if that's the only way it's available, though I have requested iTunes get films, and they have gotten them. I have about 11 movies right now in iTunes in the cloud, With a few on my wish list. My primary interest is World Cinema, i'm not buying crap like X-Men or Iron Man, or Avatar. Most of my iTunes collection is in French, Spanish, with Potuguese, Italian and German represented. One film in Polish is on my wish list.

Doz007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
...except that I didn't say anything about owning digital movies being a bad idea.

I currently own 950 digital movies, just not in Apple's ecosystem. That's all my post was referring to.

I'm curious, why not in Apple's ecosystem?

I my mind Apple are the most likely of all the current tech giants to be around for a long long time. They've got so much money, I simply can't see them going out of business anytime soon.

Is your 950 movie collection within one ecosystem or spread across several?

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I've recently come back to the Apple ecosystem after taking a year out to give Android a chance.

I've just had a quick look in the Purchased section of my Apple TV and I have amassed 85 movies so far!! This took me by surprise but it's just so easy to buy content via iTunes and there's always a sale to tempt me to hit that buy button!

I'm sure that my collection is tiny compared to some of the die hard, long term Macrumors members.

So.... How many movies are in your library?

400+ icloud movies. Apple tv takes a LOONG time (1 minute maybe) to pull up my list of movies. its aggravating.

Reactions: Doz007

Doz007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
400+ icloud movies. Apple tv takes a LOONG time (1 minute maybe) to pull up my list of movies. its aggravating.

That's a sizeable collection. Hopefully the new Apple TV hardware will deal with larger libraries much better.

Has anyone seen any screenshots of the new 'purchased movies' section of TVOS?

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
Physical media is a total pain. I'd rather digital download and streaming. It's much much more convenient than having to take a disc out of a case, and put it in a player.

When I said "sticking with physical media", I only meant that's how I purchase movies and not necessarily how I watch them. I like having the best of both worlds and not being locked into any company's ecosystem.

Last edited:

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
When I said "sticking with physical media", I only meant that's how I purchase movies and not necessarily how I watch them. I like having the best of both worlds and not being locked into any company's ecosystem.

I'm more than happy to stay "locked" in Apple's ecosystem. It's a garden I have no desire to ever leave. Nor could I be bothered to "rip" discs.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It's loyalty, but it's definitely not blind.
So far I have not seen a downside of just giving myself over to the Apple ecosystem. Having ripped all of my DVD's and dumping them into iTunes, I had skipped the whole Blu-Ray thing. Now that I have all LCD TV's and one that accepts 1080P, I am starting to build my HD collection through iTunes. I have been waiting for sales through the iTunes store. I now have about 50 movies bought from iTunes. I doubt I will ever replace my whole collection with iTunes HD but for the ones I watch often I am sure I will.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I'm curious, why not in Apple's ecosystem?

I my mind Apple are the most likely of all the current tech giants to be around for a long long time. They've got so much money, I simply can't see them going out of business anytime soon.

I've got 100 iTunes movies and heavily regret getting tied into the Apple ecosystem.

Apples success is exactly why they are the worst ecosystem to be stuck in.

UltraViolet = Plays on Roku, FireTV Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo and most garbage built in TV video streamers.

iTunes movies = Plays on Apple Products Only.

Sure, when we live in the Apple Ecosystem then it's okay but more and more people are finding reasons to not be so single branded (and to start losing trust in Apple).

Id love to see the video DRM wall crumble like it did with music but this industry isn't struggling and Apple has no incentive to play nice with others.

That said, I only buy Apple movies because at this point IM too invested to get out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.