How many of us are there?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ziggyonice, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I was just wondering...

MacRumors obviously has some regulars (who all seem pretty cool), and there are a lot of people "up-and-coming", I guess you could say. But often, when I'm replying to a post, I first check the ranking of the person I'm quoting. I don't know why -- I guess maybe because then I know how to respond to them. But with 356,330 members (as of this writing), I wonder... what percentage of them are "regulars"? How many of us are "active"? I would assume the vast majority of them are either those who registered but never posted... and/or are newbies (at least 50%?). Does anyone have any statistics on our community?

Just curious. Thanks. :)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm logged in 24/7 and MR is always open on a tab, so I'd say I'm quite active.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Several times I've clicked on usernames in the "Today's Birthdays." If they are the same age as me or something that piques my curiosity. Anyway, it's always ended up being someone who only posted a few times several years ago. So I quit paying attention to the birthdays. (I'll admit that I'm not in my 20s anymore, which is most of the active members here. :p)

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Too many.
    When I open MR on my iPhone or computer, both at work, and seldom home, I am logged in. So I assume Im always logged in?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

How many of who are where?

I would say I'm pretty active. I'll go in spells where I don't post for weeks, but then I come back... for MORE.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

And MR is a better place for it.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

One of my favorite avatars.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Dr. Q can give you answers to your other questions, but I've tracked down these ones for you.
    10351 of the 309155 members listed in the directory have the label "regular." That would be about 3.35%.
    23687 have a rank above "newbie" meaning 285468 are "newbies," or about 92.34%.

9. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

That's pretty interesting. Having been here since January, which is relatively new, I've got to know a lot of the names on the forum. There are some regulars who I see in every other thread, but then there's a few like me who only post sporadically.

10. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Wow! 92% are newbies?! I'm guessing, of those 92%, the majority of them aren't active users -- people who registered but rarely (if never) post. I guess that just really puts things into perspective, seeing as only ~8% of the members on these forums have contributed to higher post counts.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I don't know how you guys do it! Somehow, despite my searching, I obtained no results even close to what I was looking for! (And yes, using MRoogle.)

Oh well, I guess it's a power the super users wield more so than us commonfolk. :eek:

13. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

You shouldn't really. If you're quoting them, its the comment itself that matters.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

15. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I beg to differ -- many of the newbies on the site are (literally) newbies to Macs in general. Therefore, I tend to phrase my wording differently. For example, I might go more in-depth with my response to describe how to do something and why.

16. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

I try to be as active as possible, but I'm such a noob to Macs. I mostly lurk.

17. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I have over 500 posts in almost 3 months. I check MR about 5-10 times a day. I think I have an addiction problem.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i hear ya lol

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

20. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Nearly four years ago a friend told me with great excitement about how she was buying a new iMac, making the jump from Windows. Filled with doubt and questions, I went online to learn what I could about this strange new world she was entering......I found MR, read a lot of posts and thought, "gee, maybe my friend isn't making a mistake after all!" I was away from home at this point and then shortly thereafter returned home to find that my own computer was acting glitchy and that Windows was not being cooperative. In disgust, I thought, "maybe this Mac thing is the way to go...." and I read more on MR. I had a few questions, so one day I registered, by this time leaning more and more in the direction of a Mac and further and further away from Windows. I asked questions, I read more and more, I went to the Apple store and played around.....and one day came home with my very own G5 iMac, still a little uneasy at the idea of having jumped ship from DOS/Windows to a whole 'nuther platform..... It didn't take very long for me to realize that I'd jumped from the darkness into the light! In a month or so after I'd gotten my iMac I finally discovered what iTunes and the iPod were all about (iTunes never having worked well on my Windows machine) and also somewhere along there I realized that if I no longer wanted to use Windows at home, I sure wouldn't want to use it on the road (trips), either -- and a PowerBook came into the home. My old Windows machines sat idle and finally one day I cleaned them out and got rid of them for good, making this an all-Mac household.

Intel machines made their debut and I didn't wait too long to get my first one (core duo MBP) and then make the investment in a Mac Pro......

Within the first few months of my exploration of the Mac world and of Mac Rumors, I knew I was in for the long haul so not only was committing myself to the platform but to the website, by active participation and by making a contribution to become a Demi Goddess.

With the arrival of the iPhone and iPod Touch MacRumors has definitely undergone a change and made it more abundantly clear that not everyone participating on this site is a Macintosh computer user. They have an iPhone or an iPod or an iPod Touch but that's it....this has had an impact on the entire community and the way people interact with each other. I kind of miss the old days when MR was smaller and everyone was a Mac user....

21. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I mostly lurk too, especially since I only just discovered that I could exclude certain threads in the spy, namely iPhone related. There just aren't a lot of interesting topics since everyone's still reeling from WWDC product launches and SL. I posted like mad so I could get an avatar so I could be more easily recognized but now there will be days between posts or visits even.

I also check someone's status when quoting or reading. It often says a lot about how to approach the situation. Like if one of the 68000's was asking for advice I would give a path to a preference pane like I would to a n00b, I would just name it.

22. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I already answered that. :) MacRumors Regulars have 100 or more posts, so unless you were getting very specific about your wording (meaning those with exactly 100 aren't counted), the answer is still about 3.35%.

23. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I do a lot of reading on here, and when I have a computer problem Google can't help me solve, this is my go-to!

I used to post quite a bit, but now I just read along and try to only post when I can add something useful or have a question.

24. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I'm also mostly a lurker--and I lurk all day long. After some time though, I only recognize the names of the frequent posters. I have a hard enough times remember people's names in life. I'm good with faces, thus its usually the avatars I recognize.

25. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    There is always gonna be avalanches of newbies compared to anyone else. I like being in the small percentile. :)