Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Since the very first iPad I have used Apple's Smart Cover plus a Gibon 3-wire stand for support when I don't want to hold the device. This is what I will do with the iPad Pro, too. This provides flexibility in positioning the iPad when using a keyboard -- I prefer Apple's BT keyboards to something that actually connects to the device. This provides optimum flexibility for charging the device, just having the iPad sitting around, and of course using it with an Apple BT keyboard (either the 3-battery version or the 2-battery version; I haven't tried it since I don't have the iPad Pro yet, but I hear the new Magic Keyboard also works great with it!). The Smart Cover has always worked well with all of my previous iPads so I anticipate that it would be just fine with the new iPad Pro, too. For transporting the iPad Pro safely somewhere, say, in my camera bag or in my carry-on bag while traveling, I would also use the InCase sleeve that I've already got for my 13.3" rMBP or even the somewhat larger one that I still have for a 15" MBP.

31PRMAyHCVL.jpg

Last edited:

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Bare for me. Thing is heavy enough. Plus it ruins the aesthetic. Just got mine from Best Buy. It's great so far. A little unwieldy in some situations, but it should be excellent for school work.

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
How many of you all using the iPad Pro bare, without any sort of cover.

For me, I only use a MacBook 13' sleeve.
Call me a tech nudist, but I loathe covers and cases. Unless they are stupendously well thought out and executed, they detract from the raw, delicious simplicity and superb design of the hardware. It's like buying a Lamborghini and putting a bra on the front.

Unfortunately, I'm not so wealthy that I can just toss this thing in my laptop bag or slide it across a table without my butt cheeks clenching, so I may have to swallow my sense of aesthetics just this once and splash for a smart cover :p

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Right now I'm bare, waiting on Apple keyboard case to be delivered and I'll get the back case too. I also want a nice sleeve when one is available. Booq makes nice bags and sleeves.

Reactions: BrettJDeriso

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Call me a tech nudist, but I loathe covers and cases. Unless they are stupendously well thought out and executed, they detract from the raw, delicious simplicity and superb design of the hardware. It's like buying a Lamborghini and putting a bra on the front.

Unfortunately, I'm not so wealthy that I can just toss this thing in my laptop bag or slide it across a table without my butt cheeks clenching, so I may have to swallow my sense of aesthetics just this once and splash for a smart cover :p

Nothing wrong with a good smart cover. It barely adds any weight and adds to the look, in my opinion.

Reactions: BrettJDeriso

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I prefer bare but have a case and cover and a keyboard case on the way. This Device is in order of magnitude lighter when you without the cover and case.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
I will get the Logitech case and keyboard when it becomes available. Hearing good things about it.

Got mine the day after my Pro. Love it. I have always had covers for my iPads and iPhones. To expensive for those few times i am a klutx ;-)

Seriously this is the first keyboard case though, sorta want to make this more of a supplemental laptop to my macbook pro retina so this case came highly recommended. I love mine. Typing this now on my Pro with the keyboard in fact.

Russ

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
I tried it in the Apple Store. It makes it heavy.

I like it but then my plan for the pro was to make it a supplemental laptop tablet to my macbook 15 retina. So the amount of weight is not an issue for me persomnally. I like mine, and how it protects the pro, is nice to carry. The keyboard is good and finally I feel I have a keyboard worth using with my current ipad. But like many things this will vary for each.

russ

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
My brother left his iPad Pro with me today. It's certainly a big bulky beast. That's just my impression neither good or bad. Brush away the hype and it's just another, bigger iPad.

Oh sure it's fast but I doubt many people will notice once they've used it for awhile. It's the Artists that I bet will love this pricey model. I'm eager to see how Apple spins the story to convince others it's in high demand. That's Apples expertise. The best sales strategy of any tech company.

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
bare at the moment, waiting for the smart keyboard but wondering if I should get the smart cover in the meantime...

Reactions: sjleworthy

ScottM1988

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
I have a sleeve which my iPad pro goes in when I put it away but completely naked otherwise. Trying to appreciate the beauty and design of the iPad rather than covering it up with cases and screen protectors which I have always done before.
I do only use it in the house though.
My iPhone 6s Plus has a glass screen protector on and an apple black leather case.
Reading the above comments is making me want to buy a screen protector and the apple silicone case and leather Smart Cover though.

Sandman3769

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
I was using it bare, but this morning I put on a Tech Armor Ballistic Glass screen protector, and it cured 2 minor issues I was having. First, MUCH less finger prints on the screen. And second, my fingers slide much more easily when scrolling.

I didn't buy it for either of these purposes, but I am very happy with the results.
It cost me $40, and I know if I wanted to wait longer I could have gotten another brand for a lot less, but now I think it was money well spent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.