How many of your computers can you install Leopard on?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MowingDevil, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I know the Family Pack is for 5 computers but what about just the regular version? Surely you're not limited to only 1 computer with each disc. Alot of people have a desktop and a notebook, do you have to buy a different copy for both of them?!?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, Leopard gives you ONE license to install on ONE computer.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Technically you do have to buy a copy for both computers if you have a desktop and a laptop so you would be better off buying a family pack.

On a side note, nothing is in the software that will prevent you from installing Leopard on multiple computers. Technically you are not supposed to do it though.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Buy the family pack. It's only $40 more. It's technically and legally the right thing to do. And it's only $40 more, which hardly seems unreasonably for a second computer (and 3-5 are free . . . )

5. stockholmsyn macrumors newbie

Mac OS X is free for installation on any computer and as many computers as you desire.

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That is not correct, unless I misunderstand what you are saying.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, it's $70 more, but still less than buying two copies.

jW

8. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

Can you install it on more than one computer? YES!
    Are you supposed to install it on more than one? NO!

9. rogair macrumors member

It's funny how many people wasted money on the Family Pack. Just buy the single user one. Unless you are using your machines for a business, I wouldn't waste the cash.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....following the licence agreement and the terms of sale are *not* a "waste." Nice attitude you have.....not......oh yeah!

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

I bought the family pack. I don't consider it a waste of money. I'm a photographer and, I expect my clients to honour my intellectual property (and I'm very loose with my licencing).... therefore I honour other's intellectual property. I also live in community where you can leave your keys in the car, or your front-door unlocked. I cherish this community, and I applaud Apple for still believing that most people are honest, and honour the licensing terms. They certainly make the family pack economically viable.

12. MARCON macrumors newbie

Leopard on multiple computers

The company i work for just bought a mini mac for a presentation which shipped with leopard. I tried to install it on my mac book pro and it ain't having it. I click on the install icon and then a few moments later it says "Leopard cannot be installed on this computer".

Therefore from my experience you cannot install this OS on multiple machines....unless anyone can prove me wrong with some much appreciated advice???

Cheer

Marcon

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Marcon, this thread is about a retail copy of Leopard, not the gray disks that ship with a Mac.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This answer has been answered in this thread (as well as many others) repeatedly and in detail. Enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.