How many ordered new kit on Launch Day 20th Oct?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by healeydave, Oct 21, 2009.

?

Did you buy any of the fabulous new kit on Launch Day 20th Oct '09

1. Yes, I simply couldn't resist

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No, but it I plan to

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. No, I wasn't interested

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. healeydave macrumors regular

I was blown away by the new kit launched on the 20th October and since getting completely hooked on Apple kit a few years ago, I simply couldn't resist buying one of the top spec 27" iMacs with the Quad Cores.

I can completely understand Apple's phenomenal growth in recent years, I alone have bought 2 x iMac 24" computers, 1 x MacBook , 1 x MacBook Air, 3 x iPhones, 1 x iPod Nano and now 1 x iMac 27" in just two and a half years. It doesn't end there either, 3 friends have also got rid of Windows computers and replaced them with Mac's as a direct result of my experience!

I think the quality of the kit has been there for some time but since Tiger, everything has come together, I wonder how many other people have a similar experience?

Did you purchased anything on Launch Day from the new line-up announced on the 20th October '09?

2. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

I was planning to do the same thing you did, until I noticed the shipping estimate. No biggie, in effect it doesn't matter when you order it. Unless they change the pricing or the specs in the meantime which isn't going to happen.
    But not to ruin the mood let me be the first to felicitate you and your new computer on what we (I? You?) hope will be a happy 5 years together .... or 3. Basically until the Macbook Pros get an upgrade, but that's fine.

3. healeydave thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, shame the quad cores aren't available for a few weeks, but as I ordered on credit card, I won't actually have to pay the bill for a month (until the next statement is sent out), so I should have it by then.

I did also wonder if there will be limited stock to begin with, and decided better to get in first.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm not completely sure I understand the way you are using "kit" in this post. Is this some sort of regional slang or something?

I very much want the quad core 27'' iMac. This is the computer I've been dreaming about for years... Unfortunately, I fear it may have come too late. I'm now using all 4 HDD bays in my Mac Pro, and switching to an iMac would mean no tower, but instead a stack of external hard drives.

5. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

So did I, but then they'd start shipping right away. No use in wantonly delaying a product's shipping.
    I also contemplated the possibility that the thing takes a month to customise and assemble :rolleyes: . Not so of course, but it would be disasterous to see the shipping estimate segue to december when it's finally november.

6. healeydave thread starter macrumors regular

I guess "kit" is perhaps slang, we use it in the context of meaning a bunch or group of hardware.

I see your point, I came close to buying a Pro for the Power side of things but I don't want to go back to the days of having all the separates, I hate mess. My current iMac24 sits on a sideboard with bluetooth keyboard & mouse (so no wires visible at all) and my storage is via a Drobo in the cupboard beneath (so out of sight).

7. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Same here. Had no idea what "kit" meant.

Thought it was some new Apple product that I never heard of...

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Kit = hardware.

ANyways, no, I did not order any new stuff on launch day because I was more interested in the MacBook Pro...

9. macboy4 macrumors regular

I'm not as cool (or wealthy :) as you guys so I didn't order a new iMac, but I did order the new mouse. I have a one year old son who loves to play with the input devices on my keyboard tray. I've been considering a wireless keyboard and mouse to be able to move them out of his reach, but I wanted to wait until apple released the new stuff.

I ordered the new mouse from apple, and when I saw that they didn't change the wireless keyboard (except for ditching one of the batteries), I bought one from Best Buy's ebay store for only $50! It's in "like new" condition with "no visible signs of use". Not too shabby.

They have pretty good deals, check em out:

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Keyb...y_outlet&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282#item518d3c7706

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Is the OP British? :) In a military forum I frequent the brits usually refer to the hardware as kit. I don't think it is as common among americans.

11. nigameash macrumors 6502

I plan on getting the 27" imac soon :) the target display mode is amazing too, it fits the purpose of an external monitor for my macbook pro too :) :D

12. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

i didnt order on the launch but ordering soon[​IMG]

13. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Ordered a Magic Mouse and a new AEBS. Eventually I'll be ordering an Airport Express or two to set up some zoned audio around the house. Not yet though. Maybe that will see a small update before the end of the calendar year...

14. RitchieDeMan macrumors member

I didn't order immediately, i stuck it out for a whole 18 hours, then I caved in and ordered the 27" iMac and i seperately ordered the new remote. My poor credit card :( Delivery for the iMac is 23rd October and the remote is 20th November.

15. RitchieDeMan macrumors member

I presume he is. I'm in the UK and knew without any thought as to what he meant by kit, It's a common phrase here :)

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I want to, but since neither of my computers is even 3 years old, I can't justify buying one.

17. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

^^ *sigh* Me, too. Well, my iMac is old enough to warrant replacing, but the fundage just isn't there. (the MacBook is my wife's, so I can't touch that, lol) Maybe by summer or so. I really, really want that new quad-core 27" iMac. Think that'll be a nice little upgrade from my white 17" 2.0 C2D, huh? :D I do have a birthday coming up... next August... :(

18. macboy4 macrumors regular

Wow! And 2 day shipping no less.

19. healeydave thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, your lucky, I ordered the quad core in the UK within an hour but delivery is not until mid November :-( god the next few weeks are going to drag.

20. healeydave thread starter macrumors regular

I can't wait to use the new mouse, but because I ordered a system, I will have to wait until that arrives :-( so at least you'll get use that within days!

I have a MBAir, which is kinda reserved for travel / portability only, but when I use that and then come back to my existing iMac, I do miss the trackpad gesture controls, so really looking forward to the magic mouse.

21. healeydave thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I am British, it must be a Brit thing :)