How many owners have impression/horizontal lines on their screens? How to avoid this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Pinkstiletto66, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Pinkstiletto66, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I wanted to get the 11'' air, but after some reading on here, I notice that some people are getting indentations/horizontal lines on their screen from the space bar, or the area near the space bar, and are having to replace their screens :mad: Can you tell me more about that? The point of me getting it was because of the portability. With my old Macbook, I didn't always have it in a case while going to school, but it would be in my bag with other books, (although I don't think an air could tolerate NOT having a case on it during travel.) I also noticed that some people who dont even travel with it still got the line. This worries me. Thanks for all of your information. (I'm looking to purchase this within a few days.)

2. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

I am the poster who mentioned the horizontal line on my MBA 2011 11inch screen. To be honest it isn't that noticable and doesn't seem to affect the screen when it is on. However, it does become noticable when looking at the screen when it is turned off (or there is a black background) and seeing a reflection of a bright light on the screen. I didn't really notice it until I was cleaning the screen and running light through the screen to see if was was totally clean that I noticed the horizontal line which i believe is caused by being in my messenger bag with my iPad and wires.

3. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

That sucks. Im a perfectionist so that would bother me. Do you use a case? Would a particular case help the problem during travel? Maybe a keyboard protector?

4. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Yeah I use a case. My MBA is packed into its soft case and put into a waterproof sleeve with my iPad 2.

I have started using a keyboard protector but was shocked to find keyboard marks on the protector (micro fibre material) when I opened my MBA this evening.

5. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Keyboard marks on the keyboard protector?? I cant get a visual. What does that mean?

6. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Imprints or moulds of the keys.

7. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, okay, you saw imprints on the screen. That blows.

8. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I use a Radtech screen saver on all my notebooks and have never had this problem. Very cheap solution.

9. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

No, I seen imprints and moulds of the keys on the actual micro fibre cloth keyboard protector when I opened my MBA. It is just a shame that I have started using the keyboard protector as its seems to be doing its job of protecting my screen from the keyboard marks. I wish I had used the keyboard protector from day one of using my MBA.

10. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would the keyboard protectors that are molded to cover the keys, spacebar etc be a good protector for the screen or is that pretty much like not having it on in the first place? Its more a screen protector than a keyboard protector. I see myself not knowing or forgetting to put the cloth on after late night computing, or in a hurry. If its the cloth that the person above spoke about. Maybe theres a screen protector that can be bought? The same for cellphones?

----------

Oh and I realized the persons whose thread about this was someone else. So far your about the third person I believe.

11. scarred macrumors 6502a

This is only an issue if you regularly put weight on the closed macbook. The tolerances are slim, so if you squish the cover down you certainly will be forcing contact of the keyboard with the screen. That is obviously not great. If you know you'll be doing this (such as packing your air in a backpack with books), there are solutions available to protect your screen.

Simply closing the air does not cause this issue.

12. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

What are the best solutions? I was looking at some vids on youtube regarding the keyboard cases, but I thought that maybe that would only make it worse? I mean the keys are plastic, then the keyboard protector would add height, but then again the protectors are usually silicon, so that might work?