How Many People BootCamp with Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MikeM87, Sep 26, 2010.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

just used bootcamp on my Macbook Pro 13" and installed windows 7 home premium. I think it works brilliantly. The only thing to complain about would be that it takes longer than OSX to load but then again it is windows.

I have only really used the bootcamp feature due to needing windows for some University work.

Anyone experienced any problems with it or has it always been ok?

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

IMO, its ok for small tasks. I switched to using parallels which runs your windows as a virtual machine so you never have to leave OS X. It's also nice to be able to run it in what they call "cohesive" mode which put's the start icon in the dock and all the applications windows for your virtual machine show up like a normal OS X application window. Works nicely for me at-least.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Then obviously you have no point to be posting in this thread since you have no experience with running windows on a mac. :rolleyes:

5. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I used to use bootcamp but purchased Parallels a few weeks ago and use that instead. It's much easier to just stay in OS X if you only need to run a program or two than it is to have to restart your computer.

On subject though, everything I used in bootcamp worked properly. I assume it's just like an other windows installation, so there shouldn't be any problems.

6. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I have a 2.26 13 MBP and run W7 64 on it. LOVE IT! runs soooo much better on a mac than a PC and play games on it only

:)

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

A non legal Windows version takes waaaay longer than a legal copy. If you've got a legal version, than Windows should boot pretty fast.

Windows 7 64bit Pro starts faster on my Mac Pro (500GB WD Green Drive), than OS X on a 160GB Intel SSD does.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

first off I wrote my mac.
    secondly the topic is how many bootcamp.

9. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Boot Camp was the reason I got myself a MacBook Pro because I love the Apple hardware but Mac OS X isn't that big of an interest to me, considering the fact that I have a lot of Windows-based applications. However, I love the fact that I do get the best of both worlds with Windows and Mac on the same computer. I think I may stick to Apple when it comes to laptops because I've had too many bad experiences with other manufacturers, I'm looking at YOU HP and Acer.

Boot Camp has been a great experience for me. I love running Windows 7 and I'm happy to use two great operating systems, Windows 7 and Mac OS X, with a really great piece of hardware.

Thank you, Apple. :)

10. racedude macrumors member

Completely wrong... please give me some evidence of this before you make some completely idiodic statement like that.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Actually, that's accurate in some cases. Depending on which non-legal Windows version you have, it will take longer to boot than a legit version of Windows. The reason is that some pirated versions run commands during the boot to bypass activation where vs. a legit copy of Windows which does no such thing. If you search the forums, you'll find that a lot of people run into this problem thinking it's an error when in fact that person is using a pirated version of Windows.

(ex. of "problem": During Windows boot, my screen stays at a black screen with the blinking cursor at the top left corner for a long time, why?)

12. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

^^What he said.

Additionally, a pirated copy of Windows can also boot faster as some coders will strip the OS to it's bare components. If the coder does not know what he is doing, this can be dangerous. However, if it is some hotshot coder who knows his stuff, you can get a very light-weight OS that runs blazing fast.

For instance, I had a CS Professor who stripped down Vista to where an ISO of the OS would fit on a CD (it was roughly ~600 mb). It was very stable, required no activation, and ran very fast. This strip was not done with malice - rather, it was a project and came out pretty good!

13. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I've only had one problem with Windows Vista (yes, I know it sucks) since installing, and that problem is freezing upon waking from sleeping. At times, there is just a black screen with a cursor in the middle that doesn't move. I have to hard reboot every time. It's pretty annoying, but the only thing I use Windows for is to game. I don't have a need to use it for other school stuff.

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Bonjour Monsieur douché, if you don't have any knowledge about this whatsoever, please don't offend others with your complete lowbrow statements!
    Thanks!

Others have already provided the information, but since you seem to be much more intelligent than others anyways, they are probably wrong, right?

Worthless conversation. Transporteur over and out.

15. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I'm running Win7 through bootcamp. I needed Windows so I could run Quickbooks. So far so good

16. JDNGuru macrumors member

I was researching up on Bootcamp and found this thread. I'm about to install Win 7 on my 13" MBP. I only need it to run Packet Tracer and simulate the networks in it.

17. MikeM87 thread starter macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies been away from a computer unless i class the xbox as one lol. Firstly i would never have put windows on the MAC but needed to in oder to do my uni work which is .net.

I got a legal copy dont worry was on offer bundled with office 2010 which works seamlessly when installed on the mac too under bootcamp.

I just wondered why people used windows on the mac, it looks alot better than it does on my windows laptop and i also get a very high rating, far higher than my other laptop.

I understand some of you play games on windows too thats how i first heard of bootcamp.

All i would say is that the boot up to windows isn't that slow but noticeable but it performs brilliantly.

A colleague in PC world was baffled when i say i would be using Windows to bootcamp my MAC he just looked ^_^

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I have Windows 7 Home Premium boot camped on my i5 iMac, I also have Parallels 6 installed. Done mostly for games, though I do like how Windows task bar handles multiple instances better than OS X.

Boot times, to pass word from OS selection, very close.

19. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I have W7 on my 13" MBP and love it! Runs better on my mac than any windows has on any PC i have ever owned