How many people don't have cracking issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acastic, Jun 23, 2009.

1. acastic macrumors regular

With all the threads and reports of cracking white/black MacBooks, how many people don't have this issue?

2. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

I don't! But that's because I have a unibody.

But my old '06 white MacBook was cracked as HECK.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I'm guessing the majority... But not of people here on MacRumors, since a lot of people sign up due to problems, one of which is the cracking so... yah...

4. Potomac macrumors member

Originally,

I had a VERY MINOR crack on my top case about a year ago that was repaired. Since then, I haven't had any problems. My main case/bottom is another story. They will replace it however I just don't want be stuck using my PC desktop in my basement for a week or more. That computer is torture to use once in a blue moon and it would be hell having that once again be my main computer (which it hasn't been in about 4-5 years) even if it was only for a week or two

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I have a May '06 first gen with no cracks but it's had a Speck SeeThru on it most of its life.

6. patrixl macrumors regular

I had my palmrest/keyb/trackpad replaced TWICE due to the cracking issue. Last time was during the xmas holiday got it back on Jan 2, and so far no cracking.

Previous time when it got replaced, the cracking started soon after... So maybe they finally fixed it? I'm carrying it around more often than before, so there's lots of pressure on the palmrest from the top... Yet no visible crack yet.

I'm crossing my fingers, since the extended APP ends in a month...

7. why so serious macrumors newbie

My 13 month old blackbook has absolutely no cracks on it. Knock on wood..

8. dns72 macrumors member

Mine does. One right where my right wrist sits when I type, and there's a slight one on the bottom coming out of the center screw, and there's one in the back by the vents.

9. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

None on this 11/06 macbook core duo. The original owner used a bluetooth mighty mouse from day one as do I. It looks new.

10. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I have little cracks showing up all over my 2.2 GHz white MacBook. Am I correct in assuming that this is covered under the extended warranty?

11. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I think our BlackBook is a year old now. It's been in an inCase hardshell case since I bought it and my husband uses it a lot every day. No cracks, brand-new looking case.

12. acastic thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to decide between the MacBook and the 13" MacBook Pro ($1199 model). I'll be using it on the train a lot and the performance between the two models is fairly close. I don't have a ton of money to spend and I'd also like to upgrade the RAM to 4GB and possibly a 500GB 7200rpm hard drive. My main concern with the 13" MacBook Pro is the ultra glossy screen and it not being very usable on the train because of the various light sources. I know the MacBook has a glossy screen as well, but it lacks the glass covering the screen which limits the mirror effect. I'm hoping the cracking issue isn't as wide spread as it seems, but its hard to tell. The $949 refurbished aluminum MacBook model is a possibility as well. Any suggestions, experiences using either model on a train, etc? Thanks!

13. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I've owned a matte screen and now the glossy and I use my Alum Unibody every where. Glare has never been an issue. Just tilt the screen when you're outside to the appropriate angle. That's it. Perhaps if I did photography work or graphics design or something it would make a difference... but I have the first gen model and the one you would get has more depth of color in the display.

My first notebook was refurb. and I did not have good luck with it. I would go new and get AppleCare. More money up front, but if something goes wrong, they make it right quickly.

Let us know what you get and how it works out for you.

14. teksurv macrumors regular

My Early 09 Nvidia WhiteBook started to crack along the exhaust vent on the bottom case. It was only 3 months old. I took it to the Apple Store and they agreed/noted my account of the damage along with 2 other non-related issues with the unit.

AppleCare and I came to a Win/Win agreement (details subject to NDA) such that I now have a MBP 2.26.

I can say that I've had 4 plastic MacBooks, and they all have cracked in some way. While it is bothersome, Apple is very good about handling the issue warranty or not.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

My 25 month old black MacBook has zero cracks.

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Bling Bling Biatches!!!

I have a white Macbook which is about a year old and it's scar-less. There's no cracks anywhere!!

Hey evilgreg...

What's a collectors edition MacBook when that's around? So far I ain't seen an official release.. would this be the rebranded Unibody MacBook 13"?? Umm I hardly call it an collectors edition.. I would say this one is more of a collector's edition..

[​IMG]

17. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Bought 2x 2.4Ghz whitebooks for work. I got one, colleague got the other. His cracked after a few months, mine didn't in 6+ months. However, I would say that he seems to close the lid harder than I do which is probably something to do with it.

18. MrM macrumors 6502

My BlackBook is crack free. I've had it for almost a year and a half.

19. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why would you need a thread for people with no issues? What good does it do? Are you under the impression that most macbooks crack?

20. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Wow. It's the coveted, one-of-a-kind, gold plated macbook!

21. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Holy twat, that's fugly! A gold-plated Air? No thank you. :eek:

22. Tarlach macrumors newbie

MacBook w/cracks

I'm the I.T. person for an institution that has 100 2006 MacBooks in daily use and not one of them has cracks of anykind. The worst problem I have is the batteries are starting to die.

I have gotten Apple to replace 6 of them Free but I will have to pay for the rest as they slowly croak.

I also have one that the display is starting to get flakey, sometimes it works and sometimes it won't.

I have over 300 Apple Mac computers in use and they cause me much less grief than the 50 PC's that I have to support. The PC's cause me all my problems.

23. mslide macrumors 6502a

No cracking here and I certainly use my macbook as it was intended (i.e. a portable computer as opposed to something that just sits on a desk all day and never moves). Black Macbook purchased around Feb. 2007.

24. tnsmart macrumors 6502

So is this covered by Apple warranty?

25. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh.

Wish I hadn't seen this thread. Just noticed my MacBook (Late 2007 - as in the sig) is cracking where the lid hits the palmrest.

The MacBook generally stays on my desk all the time.

I'm pretty disappointed because I remember reading that the issue was improved with this revision - evidently not!