How many people experiance phantom vibrations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pgherardi, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Pgherardi macrumors newbie

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Weird. Nope, this never happens to me.

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Happened to me with my Blackberry but not any iPhones I've owned, weird.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Occasionally happens to me. Never bothered me though, I just assumed it happens to all heavy phone-users

5. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Happened to me lots when I had my Nokia. Not so much nowadays with the iPhone. It seems I don't feel it vibrating all that much - almost as if it were weaker and made me less used to feeling the vibrations on my thigh.

6. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Had it a few times on my iPhone. Might just be a case of a slightly dodgy mute switch?

7. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Ignore the vibrations and avoid answering those phantom calls. ;)

8. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

I think the article is about you feeling something that never happened, not it vibrating accidentally.

This has happened to me a bunch of times, with any phone.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

10. rk1991 macrumors regular

Same here. I used to have it quite often whenever I had my bold but ever since i got the iphone I never had them anymore.

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

For me, "phantom vibrations" usually are the seatbelt touching my phone while driving.

12. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

it happens to me all the time.. the phone could be no where near me and i feel something vibrate in my pocket only to find out that it is my imagination..

i also do this alot.. i pull my phone out of my pocket right before a text message comes or the phone rings... that happens all the time too

13. vant macrumors 65816

Happens to me all the time, even when the phone is not on me.

Its psychological.

14. iluvifone macrumors 6502

happens to me about twice a week.. iphone is sitting on the table, vibrates.. i go and grab it, and nothings there..

15. gtmac macrumors 6502a

So funny to see this post.

It started happening to me pretty bad. I actually have permanently turned vibrate off and it finally has gone away. Iuss the functionality but I haven't had the phantom vibrations since.

16. owmygulay macrumors member

I am really glad to see this post. I thought i was starting to loose my damn mind.

17. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Hah! I've experienced this too. Never knew it was somewhat common.

What makes it strange for me, though, is that I rarely get calls on my iPhone (only my wife, daughter and a couple of friends have my number). So, it's not like I'm used to the thing vibrating all the time as it is.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the link to the story!

18. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I used to get that when I was in college, I'd swear my nokias were vibrating.

I think it was that I wore tighter jeans then...

19. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

It has a very very very simple explanation.

For all of our human evolution, feeling tiny vibrations gave no evolutionary advantage whatsoever for us as a species.

Then all of a sudden we start using the vibration sensation in our everyday life.

This causes our brains to re-wire itself so that our subconscious is more alert to vibrations.

Then what happens is that everything that vibrates naturally, we start feeling as well!! For example, when you walk, the touch of the fabric with your skin produces tiny vibrations. That's the origin of the "phantom vibrations".

20. MrMinor macrumors 6502

This has happened to me at least once a day for the past 3 or 4 years.

21. Pgherardi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I used to have a blackberry and android phone and felt them much more because the vibrate feature on those phones was stronger. Its less with the iPhone but still pretty interesting.

22. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I find that often times I hear the "tri-tone" alert when there's no sound as well. The brain is a veery complex thing.

23. djgulia macrumors 6502

That has happened to me a few times. Never the phantom vibration though.

24. shmeaty macrumors member

it happened to me for several weeks---i served a mission for my church and was not allowed to bring my cell phone. walking, sitting, eating, any time really. just a random phantom vibration and i'd grab my pants pocket only to find nothing there. this happened to several other missionaries i served with also. it happens, OP