how many people have dropped their iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rolfiesb, Oct 10, 2007.

1. rolfiesb macrumors newbie

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I dropped mine from shoulder height onto asphalt.

Hit the top right hand corner.

No functional damage, a few small scratches and a little gouge.

3. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

3 times once from 5 foot on till the other two just small drops. the big drop resulted in a TINY dent by the speaker jack.

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

dropped it while getting out of my car within 24 hours of owning it. fell on concrete with no scratch. the phone is more smooth than normal cell phones, i'm more carefull now. it stays in my left pocket and i no longer put anything else in that pocket either :)

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Mine got accidentaly thrown half way across the room by my dad and there is not a scratch on it. I am quite pleased. :)

6. cjandnw macrumors 6502

I've accidentally thrown people halfway accross rooms, but never an iphone...

7. aerospace macrumors 6502a

...at least someone's got their priorities intact :eek:

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Better people then an iphone...

9. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

A coworker dropped my iPhone while in a parking lot. Had the incase rubber case on it and it landed on its back, no damage.

10. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I haven't accidentally dropped my iPhone once :::hope I just didn't jinx myself::: .

Having said that i have purposely dropped my iPhone from head height to my cushy mattress a few times, just to get the sensation of dropping the phone out of my system and I somehow hope this lessens the probability of dropping my iPhone elsewhere.

I know that's really strange but I've heard stranger things :D

If I saw my girl losing her balance about to fall down a flight of steps, I'd probably quickly snatch my iPhone out of her hand :D

11. DopestGingah macrumors regular

12. tribe3 macrumors 6502

I think plastic phones do better on falls, but they aren't the cool:rolleyes:

I dropped mine twice. I use the Incase Leather Fitted Sleeve which leaves only two possible places to get dented or scratched (and the screen); well those two places were precisely where it hit both times with the resulting dent on one upper corner and another on the other side.

I ordered a new rear panel from ifixit and plan to replace it some day.

I wouldn't get that black rear panel. It's not OEM and it doesn't have the 3 screw mounts so you need to glue it on:eek: It also comes without the apple so you have to take it from your old panel and glue it on...

EDIT: well it says OEM but it's a stripped version. I believe that the one ifixit sells has some internal structural bits and also the apple logo. At least there is no glue involved in the replacement process.

13. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I haven't had mine very long and so I haven't dropped it yet, and I hope that I don't drop it and if I do I hope that it doesn't do much damage. I know a guy who did drop his and it put a scratch on the screen in which he had to pay to get the screen replaced (not cheap). So I am going to be careful, and not let too many other people handle it.

14. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I dropped mine once on a hardwood floor, and I swore to myself if it turned out fine I would do whatever it took not to drop it again. It was fine, and I haven't come close to dropping it again. :D

15. Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

I dropped mine once, but that new HOVER app kicked in about 1" from the floor, and saved my butt.

I feel sorry for those guys who don't use 3rd party apps....

16. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

I was sitting on a stool at the bar and dropped it, landed on the metal base of the table I was sitting at. I don't know what part of the iPhone hit, my reflexes were way too slow at that point, but no damage, and it wasn't in a case either.

The iPhone earbuds are pretty solid. Last weekend mine went through the washer, and the dryer....they still work...:D

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I dropped my iPhone a few times. Got a few very minor scratches and one rather nasty ding to prove it.

The screen is still like the day I bought it. Functionally it's perfect.

18. jlongale macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone while walking down the stairs at my apartment it only fell about three stairs down but the stairs aren't very soft. It only left a scratch just above the camera but it still works fine.

19. AilisiliA macrumors newbie

Mine is in a case...
    I have never dropped it...

...and yet i have one scratch and one dent.... From my purse!!

20. DopestGingah macrumors regular

Okay well the one I want is the only BLACK one on the internet that I have seen (even checked ebay). I want black and the one at ifixit.com is nice and all but it is not black and I REALLY don't feel like painting it myself. They do have a chrome bezel though! That's good to know.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Dropped iPhone #2 twice on concrete-- rather smooth concrete both times and from < 1ft from the ground. Each drop left a rather significant gouge on the silver back. And minor scratches near the top (but on the back silver part).

Dropped iPhone #3 (the current one) just today. Something nasty on indoor tile-ish (in a store) from 3ft or so. Not a scratch-- but that might be because I have a Best Skins Ever on it. :eek: (I had BSE on phone #1, but didn't bother w/ it for #2 and thus opted to shell out for this one.)

22. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Here's my very recent "dropped" iPhone story.

I was pulling my boat out of the lake on Monday (I'm sure you can tell where this is headed). My engine stalls and won't restart just as I'm pulling up to the ramp. There is a 30 mph wind blowing into shore. The stern comes around fast and the boat gets parallel to shore and is at risk of slamming into the concrete ramp. My iPhone is in my pocket (but I'm not thinking about that at the moment). My assistant on shore is 74 and not getting his feet wet. I make the quick decision to go in and keep my boat from sustaining damage.

The guy at the Genius Bar was very helpful and I used my original iPhone purchase rebate to lower the cost of this unfortunate event. Apple has a phone replacement plan that costs $249.00. With my gift card, it lowered it to 149.00. I now have a $750.00 iPhone

I thought about opening it up and putting the hair dryer to it, but then I changed my mind. Perhaps Apple would frown of the fact that the phone had been tampered with. Anyway, it cost me some dough, but I love my iPhone and if I screw another one up, I'll get a another replacement.

23. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I've dropped mine twice from 2-3 feet onto the driveway. The first time I got a couple of small dings, but the second time it hit the corner and has a ding about 1/8" long depression along with a nick in the chrome bezel.

The screen is still scratch free and works fine.