How many people here are booting into 64bit and THEN complaining about problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you're booting into an unsupported configuration by holding 6+4 during startup, then you shouldn't complain about problems you encounter.

I wonder how many people who are posting stuff about how Snow Leopard sucks, it's buggy, freezes, etc are booting into 64bit Kernel.

Thoughts?

Note: I'm sure most of you are aware, Snow Leopard hasn't given me problems yet. It's actually better than Leopard in almost every area. I'm excited to see what Apple can do with future software updates!

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'd say, "Zero". Do you think mac users are that stupid? Or better yet, do you think they'd admit it?

Why would we be aware (or even remember) that you have no problems? Are you important or something?

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Most wouldn't, but I'll be 90% of those who'd do it would be using this board for their whining.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I guess people aren't familiar with me then. I've posted that I'm happy with Snow Leopard in almost every thread, so that's why I thought maybe people would remember my posts. Sorry.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh so THATS how you boot into 64....

My snowleopard machine is still on its way so I cant play and discover yet :'(

6. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

not everyone can boot into 64-bit. Like Macbooks.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'd say that a considerable majority of the users on this forum cannot even try and boot into the 64-bit Kernel Mode because it's simply not possible using their computers:

- Early Core Solo/Duo Mac users
    - MacBook users
    - Mac Mini users
    - Earlier iMac users

- Those requiring 32-bit extensions

Many of the issues relate to things that aren't possible while using the 64-bit kernel.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I may try it later, just for giggles, but since I now have a fully functioning SL install I have little desire to muck with it. I'm happy with the 32bit kernel mode.

What I find humorous is that people instantly think that by booting into 64bbit kernel mode they'll have a faster computer or their apps will be faster, i.e., bigger = faster.

While its true that some apps can benefit from the 64bit kernel, the simple fact is that you're only getting the ability to access memory > 4gig - at least from a user's perspective.

By forcing the kernel to go into 64bit mode, you may lose the ability to use some perpherials because they're only 32bit mode or other issues

9. subalou1 macrumors newbie

I'm using an app that allows you to always boot in 64bit and I have yet to have a problem.

10. CIA macrumors 6502a

Again, if you are running with 4GB or less of memory (the vast majority of users) there is no reason to use the 64 bit kernel.