Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Just wondering to see how many people chose to order an unlocked iPhone 12 Pro outright without doing any sort of carrier upgrade process? This is my second time going this route because I don't want any commitments between me and my carrier. Yes, I know you can get some much better deals with making them carrier commitments but I'm okay with paying more which gives me the freedom of leaving a carrier without any sort of backlash. The added bonus of me being able to make interest free payments on my Apple card sweetens the deal a little further.

So who else ordered an unlocked iPhone 12 Pro outright?

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I pay it outright, carrier unlocked from Apple. Its not like back then anymore where you can get the phone for $299 on a 2 year contract.

Reactions: xxMACxx

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I started buying my outright this year. Trying to live as debt free as possible.

I try too. My MVNO doesn't offer the iPhone with any special deal, so I bought the SIM free model. With the apple card 24 month payments, though it is likely I'll cave and just pay it off way before 24 months is up. Who knows, I may get the urge to pay it off in a month.

The 128GB Pacific Blue 12 Pro.

Nextup12

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
Buying outright unlocked is cheaper for me. I also like having the ability to save for it, drop my cash in one lump sum and then cruise on cheap pre paid deals. Much easier to budget and saves me in the long run. I don’t upgrade every year though.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2013
I purchased the T-Mobile iPhone 12 Pro outright for the extra $150 trade in credit. They’re the same model anyways and it’s super easy to get T-Mobile to unlock the phone.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Bought outright full payment SIM free 12 Pro 128gb. Will sell my XS on Swappa. Will swap SIM from XS.

mbdownunder

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I’m buying outright, just like I did for my iPhone X. Here in Australia the carriers don’t seem to subsidise iPhones anymore. I find I’m better off buying outright and using a $20/month prepaid sim.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Ordered my Pro 256GB unlocked as 24 months %0 APR with Apple Card and I am on Visible (Verizon owned phone service) that gives unlimited data on the Verizon network. Visible just announced support for 5G and as coming soon that'll be capped at 200 Mbps speed. On congestion, they prioritize and slow down your line but I don't care as it's true unlimited otherwise.

The price for this is only $25 for a single prepaid line. Best of both worlds...

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just wondering to see how many people chose to order an unlocked iPhone 12 Pro outright without doing any sort of carrier upgrade process? This is my second time going this route because I don't want any commitments between me and my carrier. Yes, I know you can get some much better deals with making them carrier commitments but I'm okay with paying more which gives me the freedom of leaving a carrier without any sort of backlash. The added bonus of me being able to make interest free payments on my Apple card sweetens the deal a little further.

So who else ordered an unlocked iPhone 12 Pro outright?

All iPhones are unlocked now. It's been this way as far back as the 2017 slate of iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and original iPhone X, if not even further back. You are asked if you want to upgrade with your carrier or to pay for the device in full. If you opt for the latter, there is no interaction with your carrier whatsoever. From then on, the only difference between picking a carrier or picking SIM-Free is that the SIM-Free option comes with no SIM card in the iPhone whereas picking your carrier of choice will ship the iPhone to you with that SIM card already inside (and save you some money if you are going with AT&T or Verizon).

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
If you buy from apple with ATT installments, still locked. If you buy from the carriers's web page, it probably depends on their procedures.

Back in 2017, only the Verizon model was unlocked when sold (based on how Verizon was handling locking then), and the SIM free version (which wasn't available for the x at preorder).

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
What does it matter? I didn’t sign any new agreements with my carrier. I assumed it just meant they’d be sending me a new carrier specific SIM card with the phone.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
What does it matter? I didn’t sign any new agreements with my carrier. I assumed it just meant they’d be sending me a new carrier specific SIM card with the phone.

If you ordered the T-Mobile model on Apple, it will come with a SIM and be unlocked. I don't know how it works if you ordered on T-Mobile's site and paid in full. Hopefully unlocked, and not have to wait 60 days if you are an existing T-Mobile customer.

Bought mine fully unlocked! Why? I don’t want to deal with a payment plan.

will be buying 2 more the pro max model.

Attachments

• 2E3435CE-6090-4E06-8E2F-31DF2A06F2FA.jpeg
    2E3435CE-6090-4E06-8E2F-31DF2A06F2FA.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 131
  • 9E249E3F-8512-4691-8323-F27966A25857.png
    9E249E3F-8512-4691-8323-F27966A25857.png
    904.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Been buying outright/SIM-free since the days of the 4S.

Simply can't be bothered with the hassle of dealing with carriers any more, for upgrades and the likes. I have had my existing Three SIM-only plan for years now, with unlimited everything, suits me fine.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Always order sim-free and unlocked direct from Apple. The return ease, the reliable service and the buying experience has always been first class in an age where buying electrical tech elsewhere seems like an unwanted stress.

Collecting mine in-store on release day.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I’m always sim-free. I only upgrade every couple of years but
a. Resale value is higher for unlocked phones,
b. I want to be able to switch carrier or plan when I want (haven’t changed for years but I review my plan every few months and haggle for the best deal available on my carrier),
c. It’s easier to get the phone I want when I want it, and
d. I prefer to have low monthly outgoings.

Last edited:
Reactions: craigc_

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Have been buying unlocked and directly from Apple since the first iPhone. I usually upgrade every 1-2 years and always get reasonable value for my current device selling online. The added benefit of double manuf. warranty with my CC makes buying outright a no-brainer for me. My wireless plan has remained relatively cheap as a result of this.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I bought Sim free paid in full. I didn’t want to deal with all the hassle of payment plans and loan approvals while trying to order. Glad I did because the site crashed right after I ordered LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.