how many people require reading glasses to read text on iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PotatoPie, May 19, 2011.

1. PotatoPie macrumors newbie

how many people require reading glasses to read text on iPad 2?

is it possible to enlarge the fonts on the iPad?

Thanks! :)

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Put 2 fingers on the page and move them away from each other. It will zoom in and automatically sharpen up the text for you so you can read it. Switching it to landscape view will also help.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

If you have an iPhone 4 you will be disappointed. Foolishly I bought the iPad2 without a thorough examination, and I have to say that I am disappointed. The iPhone's 'Retina' display has spoilt me; the iPad2 looks cheap and nasty in comparison.

Am considering selling this one and waiting for the iPad3...

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I've needed reading glasses/contacts (presbyopia) ever since I've had my iPad. In many respects, a device like the iPad is ideal for those of us who need a little assistance to see smaller text.

For one thing, the brightness of the screen makes reading in dim lighting conditions (where your pupils are wide open, and close focusing is much more difficult) a lot easier.

Web browsing, picture viewing, etc. is helped by the ease with which you can zoom onto fine details.

Most text-reading apps: Newspaper, magazines, iBooks, etc. you can set the text size.

The fact that the iPad does not have "Retina" class resolution is a TOTAL NON-ISSUE for people who need reading glasses. And anyone with an ounce of common sense can understand why this would be.

5. xfadam macrumors newbie

I noticed the difference almost immediately between the phone's sharpness and the iPad. However, I don't think it looks terrible at all. To each, his own.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) The OP didn't ask about comparisons between the iPhone 4 and iPad displays. You want to debate this, there are threads for this.

2) OP, if you need glasse to read a book, you'll likely need glasses to read an iPad. Presbyopia affects the ability to focus on fine details near, particularly in low light. The text on the iPad, however, can be zoomed. And, the brightness of the screen can be adjusted to compenseate for ambient lighting conditions.

7. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I just bought the ipad 2 and I agree there is a really huge difference in clarity. Def a little disappointing but still love the ipad. When they comes out with retina display ipad it will be perfect.

8. madat42 macrumors regular

In the iPad's Settings > General > Accessibility > Large Text menu, you can choose the default font size for Contacts, Mail, and Notes. As others have mentioned, font size support varies from application to application but I'm seeing this option more and more especially on reading apps. Safari has built in zoom support which isn't the same as larger text that wraps, but does get the job done.

9. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

not yet.....but then again i have to put my glasses on to see anything further away than the iPad

:(

10. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

I actually have to take the glasses off to see things up close now... it sucks getting older...

but as for the ipad - no issues reading text on it...

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nope, the difference between a book and an ipad is that you can easily zoom and make text larger on an ipad. No glasses required.