How many people still play Battlefield 2142 on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by SiNAtiK45, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SiNAtiK45 macrumors newbie

I used to play it on my PC, but PC gone crap and was thinking about buying it for my Mac.

Have no idea, but it's online for Mac right? lol

Also can anyone tell me how many players still play it through a site or anything? Don't wanna waste money if there's hardly any people playing it anymore.

Also US and EU servers are together right? and do Mac and Windows player play together?

Thanks for any help!

2. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

to be honest i wouldnt bother. try seeing how many people play it on windows (since you already have it) and if you believe its enough then get it, its a great game. but you are probably better of getting BF2 if they do it for mac.

and yes both mac/windows use the same servers. as do WoW servers, civ4 online etc

3. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

This is still a very popular game and a new patch is coming out soon for 2142 and BF 2 that should rekick some of the original players into rejoining.

Keep in mind that like most Mac games there is no difference in "Mac and PC" when it comes to server. A server is a server and lets any client join so your playing with PC users when you have 2142. Except when the Mac client lags behind due to lack of updates...

I don't own this for OS X but I have it for Windows and it's a great game. I was actually thinking about picking it up for OS X. I've read horror story reviews on it though since it's a CIDER port, but occasionally someone says the game runs beautifully. Can anyone attest to how it runs? And does a no-cd/mini-iso exist.. I hate having to put the CD in the drive to play on the Windows side and no 1.5 no-cd has come out yet :( On second thought if you can buy this game on EA-Link you don't need a CD. -_-

4. Less Exciting macrumors newbie

Less Exciting

Worth a shot

Still a lot of players out there. It's alive and the next patch may add more life to it.

What's your mac specs? I'm running Alu Imac with 3gb ram and the crap 128mb ATI gpu. Nearly all my settings for 2142 have to be on low to get anywhere. If you own the same imac but with the 256mb gpu, you should be able to run it absolutely fine.

I very much enjoy this game though, simply because of the server i play on. Are you EU or US?

5. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

I still play 1942 online so Im sure that there has to be somebody on 2142

6. SiNAtiK45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the comments, i've already ordered it though lol should be here tomorrow.

7. pprior macrumors 65816

It's a cider port, so when you're online you're online with all the PC users as well. Nobody can tell the difference.

I play regularly and many busy servers. Tactical gamer is the best for grown up structured play, in my experience.

come on aboard!

8. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Can you come back to this thread and give us your computer specs + how it runs in your opinion? I own BF2142 for Windows and I am debating buying it for OS X as well. Can you buy it through EA Link so you don't have to have the disc in to play?