How many photographic softwares do you use ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by igmolinav, Apr 12, 2012.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

Is it photoshop and/or aperture ?? Lightroom and/or some
    other independent softwares offered to photographers to
    retouch ??

How many photographic softwares do you use ??

I may get photoshop and/or aperture.

Which ones are you using and which ones do you
    recommend ??

My uses: headshots, body-portraiture, architecture,
    landscapes.

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I only use Aperture and Photoshop, but mostly just Aperture. Its rare if I pop into Photoshop for anything.

Photoshop is usually for texturing 3D models for me.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I use Lightroom and Photoshop Elements - because it is so rare that I actually need to go into Photoshop, it's not worth the price.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have seen the introductory video for aperture.
    Do you use it because is friendlier than photo-
    shop ??

Can one work with aperture and lightroom, and
    do without photoshop ??

Thank you, kind regards,

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I use Digital photo Professional for editing and tweaking RAW files, then import into Aperture for editing and storage, plus I can export from A3 to my storage systems or other locations.
    I have cs4 loaded with all my Nik filters and custom fonts and gardiants/styles for design and other photo editing if required.

why not use Aperture and photoshop elements? aperture and lightroom are both about editing and file storage/management, you really need to try the free trials of both and see what suits you best :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lightroom and photoshop (with some denoise plugins) for me

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Mainly Lightroom and photoshop. iPhoto for exporting to my iPad/iPhone

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not recommended. Aperture and Lightroom are essentially the same thing, and using both will likely mean that they will step on each other's databases.

Aperture and Lightroom are digital asset managers, that also have editing abilities. For most photographers A3 (Aperture) and Lr (Lightroom) can handle 80% to 99% of their editing needs.

Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, GIMP, and other editing programs are designed as editing applications that can get down to the pixel level of manipulation, can work in layeres (often) and can do graphical and text manipulations.

Ideally, you do most of your work in A3 or Lr, and link that application to your editing program. When you need the extra editing power A3 or Lr will hand the image to the editing program, and then catalogue back into its database when you are done editing. It is a seamless process.

Hope this helps.

Luck.

9. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I use Lightroom for nearly everything. I do have photoshop CS3 but I rarely use it. I do intend to pick up CS6 when it comes out though- mainly because I want Illustrator and InDesign (which I don't have right now) and also it's my last chance to get the software at academic rates :) However, having PS CS6 will be nice since I have wanted to use exposure blending more.

The other photo software I use is Hugin. It is much more powerful for stitching panos than photoshop.

10. fa8362 macrumors 65816

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I use Aperture and PhotoShop CS3.

Aperture and Lightroom are essentially the same class of application, photo libraries with editing capabilities. You can work with PhotoShop only if you manage your own photo library, but that isn't recommended by most of us with thousands upon thousands of photos.

PhotoShop does have some tools that are useful for the types of photography listed by the OP. It's capable of straightening out vertical distortion in architecture and the clone and repair tools are good at removing facial blemishes in portraits. It's costly and complex to learn, though.

iPhoto is a light weight library with some editing tools, but not a lot. A good setup for novice photographers is iPhoto and PhotoShop Elements. You get a good feel of how these types of programs work without breaking the bank.

Dale

12. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I use Aperture for my file/photo management and basic adjustments. I have NIK software (complete package) as a plug in. I also have Photoshop. It helps to be on the faculty of a local college so the cost of the NIK and PS software was obviously much less. If I had limited resources, I'd go for Aperture since I really, really like it for management of my photos and PS.

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I use Adobe Lightroom 4 to look at my RAW files from my camera. I'll do some minor processing in there. However, I do the majority of my image editing in Photoshop CS5.

14. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Aperture mostly for RAW editing and organizing. Photoshop for heavy editing and digital design.
    I hit the ground running with both products and it worked out fine!

15. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for all your help : ) !!!

Kind regards,