Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polkenhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
So I've been researching and for some reason, many people say the 13" rmbp 2015 has ui lag, intense heat, 95+ c˚ while playing light games (csgo), and etc. I was planning on buying the 256gb model refurbished for 1269. When I go to the store I can't notice any heat or lag... Finally, will buy the i7 256 8gb macbook air 13 be better for what Im doing:
- School
- Browsing/Netflix
- Light Gaming (CS:GO, MW2, MW3, COD4, TF2, by the way, i am using my sisters 2014 base mba and for all those games, i have graphics on medium to low, and 70+fps, and only around 90c˚, will the mbp be better or worse for this)
- Programming, Xcode, C, Java, C++,
I don't know if this is for all models, but I know that people say bad stuff about the 2015 model...

Thanks!

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
The store has AC which helps cool it down significantly. Try gaming on a 90+ degrees Fahrenheit room temperature and those 90+ degrees Celsius CPU temps will show up quickly.

There's not much difference in using the rMBP and the Air for the tasks you mentioned. Just get the rMBP for the retina display.

Reactions: polkenhunt

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So I've been researching and for some reason, many people say the 13" rmbp 2015 has ui lag, intense heat, 95+ c˚ while playing light games (csgo), and etc. I was planning on buying the 256gb model refurbished for 1269. When I go to the store I can't notice any heat or lag... Finally, will buy the i7 256 8gb macbook air 13 be better for what Im doing:
- School
- Browsing/Netflix
- Light Gaming (CS:GO, MW2, MW3, COD4, TF2, by the way, i am using my sisters 2014 base mba and for all those games, i have graphics on medium to low, and 70+fps, and only around 90c˚, will the mbp be better or worse for this)
I don't know if this is for all models, but I know that people say bad stuff about the 2015 model...

Thanks!
If you look on any forum, regarding any product, all you'll see is problems.

People come to forums to either find help or to vent frustration.

Noboby bothers googling Mac forums, finds macrumors, signs up, finds the correct subforum, then post a single thread saying "Hey there, mine works just fine!" only to dissapear. That just doesn't happen. What does happen is that you'll see a (very) vocal minority of people having problems and posting about them. Again, this goes for just about any product.

Your usage will be fine on the rMBP. It is a much more capable machine than the MBA.

polkenhunt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015

Noboby bothers googling Mac forums, finds macrumors, signs up, finds the correct subforum, then post a single thread saying "Hey there, mine works just fine!" only to dissapear. That just doesn't happen. What does happen is that you'll see a (very) vocal minority of people having problems and posting about them. Again, this goes for just about any product.

Your usage will be fine on the rMBP. It is a much more capable machine than the MBA.

Thanks all for help, that is exactly the answer I was looking for!!!

jackson93

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015

So the fact that the 2015 MBPr has ui lag is only with a minority of all people? Well damn, I should return mine then.

PhantomGhost

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2015
So the fact that the 2015 MBPr has ui lag is only with a minority of all people? Well damn, I should return mine then.

On Yosemite, I had very minor UI lag, wasn't a big deal at all, but was noticeable. With El Capitan, it runs great, no lag at all.

jackson93

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
On Yosemite, I had very minor UI lag, wasn't a big deal at all, but was noticeable. With El Capitan, it runs great, no lag at all.

I'm waiting for the update right now. Hopefully it will solve the lag.

Or else: "by by MBPr!"

I will give you guys an update at the end of the day.

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Have you tested every single MBPr on the planet for UI lag? Thought not.

The ones I've had my hands on show no lag whatsoever.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'm waiting for the update right now. Hopefully it will solve the lag.

Or else: "by by MBPr!"

I will update at the end of the day.

i don't understand this attitude the lag is present in very few UI elements, mission control for example and has no effect on the efficacy of the computer it seems to me peoples obsession with this incredibly minor software bug is vastly out of proportion.

jackson93

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
i don't understand this attitude the lag is present in very few UI elements, mission control for example and has no effect on the efficacy of the computer it seems to me peoples obsession with this incredibly minor software bug is vastly out of proportion.

Have you tested every single MBPr on the planet for UI lag? Thought not.

The ones I've had my hands on show no lag whatsoever.

@Snaky, since you have no lag at all, isn't it completely normal for me to be alarmed about it?

@Samuelsan, The lag is not only present with mission control, a fun fact, I dont even have any lag at all with mission control, but maybe that's because I've disabled transparency.

For me it is present in fast movements on the screen. For example, when I scroll through a pdf or word document, it is very choppy. Finder is also very laggy for me. When I press on a document and select open with:, it hangs for like 5 seconds every time. And continues lagging while scrolling through programs.

If your models are perfect, well i'm happy for ya, but don't make it sound like nobody should be complaining when they might have reasons to do so, while you guys don't. Let's just wait untill El capitan is available for download and see what happens. I will update you guys about it in the afternoon.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
@Snaky, since you have no lag at all, isn't it completely normal for me to be alarmed about it?

@Samuelsan, The lag is not only present with mission control, a fun fact, I dont even have any lag at all with mission control, but maybe that's because I've disabled transparency.

For me it is present in fast movements on the screen. For example, when I scroll through a pdf or word document, it is very choppy. Finder is also very laggy for me. When I press on a document and select open with:, it hangs for like 5 seconds every time. And continues lagging while scrolling through programs.

If your models are perfect, well i'm happy for ya, but don't make it sound like nobody should be complaining when they might have reasons to do so, while you guys don't. Let's just wait untill El capitan is available for download and see what happens. I will update you guys about it in the afternoon.
I don't own a retina. If you read me correctly, I said the ones I trie/borrowed/worked on did not exhibit lag.

Should you be alarmed? That's another matter.

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015

maybe you have a defective unit, I have a 2015 MBP 13" i5 (2.7 GHz) running Yosemite and its totally smooth with no lags anywhere.

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
- School
- Browsing/Netflix

Thanks!

I have a 13" MBP 2015 processor i5 2.7GHz and there is zero overheating issues, in fact I've been amazed with how much it can do without even having to start up the fans to cool things down. The only time I've noticed the fans kicking in is for graphically intensive games really. You can stream full HD youtube for as long as you like, even run 4K video on 4K external display and the computer still doesn't overheat enough to require the fans to kick in. If you get a more powerful processor this may require the fans to kick in more, but the opposite of overheating is what I've observed

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
For me it is present in fast movements on the screen. For example, when I scroll through a pdf or word document, it is very choppy.
The UI issues have been well documented on the forum (retina models in particular), even more so since Yosemite's release. I think some people are just not as perceptive to it as others because it is definitely there. Large PDFs have also lagged for me since Yosemite; PDFs that exhibit no lag under Mavericks have lag under Yosemite. This has improved with El Capitan, but performance is still not as smooth as Mavericks. It's actually part of reason why I'm contemplating returning my 2015 model and purchasing a mid-2014 model, such that I can still run Mavericks. All that being said, the experience is generally smooth.

For heat/fan speed: this only becomes a concern when using certain CPU taxing programs. As an owner of an i5 and an i7 13 inch rMBP, the fan in the i7 model ramps up much more quickly and to a higher speed compared to that of the core i5 model.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The UI issues have been well documented on the forum (retina models in particular), even more so since Yosemite's release. I think some people are just not as perceptive to it as others because it is definitely there. Large PDFs have also lagged for me since Yosemite; PDFs that exhibit no lag under Mavericks have lag under Yosemite. This has improved with El Capitan, but performance is still not as smooth as Mavericks. It's actually part of reason why I'm contemplating returning my 2015 model and purchasing a mid-2014 model, such that I can still run Mavericks. All that being said, the experience is generally smooth.

For heat/fan speed: this only becomes a concern when using certain CPU taxing programs. As an owner of an i5 and an i7 13 inch rMBP, the fan in the i7 model ramps up much more quickly and to a higher speed compared to that of the core i5 model.

I have never had any PDF issues since I stopped using preview to open them, I use a little program called skim it is great no lag, easy on computer resources and free!!!

jackson93

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
I have never had any PDF issues since I stopped using preview to open them, I use a little program called skim it is great no lag, easy on computer resources and free!!!

And I just deleted skim. Wasn't working exceptionally better then powerpoint or previewer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.