how many ram slots are used as standard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chandler99, Jul 7, 2009.

1. chandler99 macrumors regular

Hi all,

i'm looking to upgrade my ram with some memory from crucial and was just wondering if both slots are used for the standard 2 gb my uMBP came with?

also, is it worth going to 4 gb?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Both slots are used, yes. And yes, it is worth it since it is so affordable and good to future-proof the computer.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

More RAM is only helpful if you have used up all the existing RAM. You don't need more than 2GB if you only use the internet, check email, and play games.

4. chandler99 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm a graphic animator so use cs4 and cinema4d amongst others...

5. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I have 4GB and originally I wanted to upgrade to 8GB I asked around and got downloaded Menu Meters to see how much Ram i usually use and I really don't need to upgrade. Maybe you don't either.

6. chandler99 thread starter macrumors regular

well, i'm currently running the standard 2gb and i think it might he when rendering in after effects and c4d... or am i wrong??;)

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I suggest getting 4GB of RAM, and in the future when 8GB of RAM is cheaper, get it.

8. chandler99 thread starter macrumors regular

here's a though.. anyone know if the uMBP and alu iMac use the same ram type?

9. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

All current Apples use PC8500 DDR3 SDRAM. (dual channel, I believe)

10. chandler99 thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm.. i just ran the crucial memory scanner app and it says my iMac has ddr2..

my iMac spec is 2.0Ghz, 1Gb ram, 128mb GFx

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's because yours isn't a current iMac.

The iMac you have will most likely be running DDR2 667MHz SODIMMs, then they went to DDR2 800MHz SODIMMs and now they're DDR3 1066MHz SODIMMs just like every other current Mac except the Mac Pro which still uses DDR3 1066MHz RAM modules but they're the big desktop DIMMs.

Unibody MacBook Pros which came with 2GB standard have a maximum RAM limit of 4GB. Those that came with 4GB standard have either a 4GB max limit (2008-era 2.53GHz uMBP) or 8GB max limit (2.66GHz and 2.93GHz updated 2008-era uMBP and all 2009-era uMBPs) so you're most likely not going to be able to upgrade to 8GB as yours would be the 2.4GHz uMBP which had a max limit of 4GB (or 6GB if you want to install a 2GB and a 4GB stick).

12. oregon2 macrumors regular

Adding more RAM does not automatically increase performance, and probably in 95% of cases, 2GB is entirely sufficient. I also thought about upgrading, but decided against it. The only thing I do which MIGHT use more is gaming, but I don't think the other components are that great for gaming, so its not really necessary.