How many rMBs do you think had been fully built before April 10?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johngwheeler, Apr 28, 2015.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

I know little about manufacturing or Apple's "build on demand" processes, but I'm curious as to how many units Apple actually had built, ready to ship, before April 10?

We know that no (or almost zero) Apple stores had any, even for public display, which I would have thought would be the first priority.

I imagine that a few had been built and were sent to 3rd party partners, maybe on a some contractual obligation to supply stock - I've no idea if the "Do not sell before May" order ever existed, but it looks like it was ignored!

Given the numbers being reported, it looks less than 10,000 were actually built. I'm not sure how many Best Buy, JB Hi-Fi and other equivalents there are in the world that had stock, but < 1000 I would expect, and most of these only reported getting a handful of units.

So the question is:

Did Apple really not have confidence that the rMB would sell, and deliberately made it a 'wait and see' production?

Or have they had some production problem that meant they were way behind their predicted production on April 10, and are still playing catch-up?

My gut feeling is the latter. Given strong Mac sales, Apple's analysts should be able to make reasonable (even +/- 50%) estimates of initial sales volume, so they could have had 50-100,000 units ready to go. So even if sales were disappointing in the first few weeks, and the product was a flop (in relative terms) they would shift them easily enough over 1-2 quarters.

I guess we will never know, unless some disgruntled worker in their Chinese plant spills the beans.

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Mine was built the first week of March, so clearly they'd been building them for a while!

But then again the naysayers on here say it's a garbage laptop that nobody wants.

3. usernames.taken macrumors member

usernames.taken

I'd put money on the fact that no 1.3Ghz's had been built at launch. Post launch, Space Grey was the first set of 1.3Ghz's machines to come off the line.

(No one has received Gold/Silver 1.3Ghz's yet)

4. cschaetzle macrumors member

On the Apple Keynote HandsOn were the new MacBook's with 1.3 GHz processor.

5. usernames.taken macrumors member

usernames.taken

I assumed that the OP is asking about real production runs, not demo units. If you include demo units, the answer is different for sure.

6. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The local BestBuy had every color in stock. If you want an upgraded model, they could have the next day. Apple has simply chosen a different way to introduce their products as there seems to be plenty, just not at Apple stores.

8. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

don't know where you are from, but it's definitely not the case in Canada (a first wave launch country).

also, since you cannot customize it at bestbuy, it's still not ideal for those who wants 1.3ghz version

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

"a first wave launch country"

Looks like you lost that!:eek:

10. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and it's especially annoying since we were quoted April 10th in our Apple Press Releases too.

My Retina MacBook (purchased from BB Canada) shows a build date of April 5th.

I seriously think they had not built hardly any of these things prior to April 10th, and I don't understand. They announced April 10th at the Watch Event - 4+ weeks prior. They didn't know then that they would have none available (even to buy at stores in the US) on April 10th?

11. Dayv macrumors 6502

97% of statistics are made up on the spot.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

13. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Mine ordered 25 minutes in was manufactured on the 15th, shipped on the 24th. So not many if they were making the first hour's orders the following week.

14. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

How do you find out the date of manufacture?

15. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Manufacture week is encoded in serial number. There are serial number analyzer websites that will give you factory and manufacture week info from your serial#.

16. yano729 macrumors member

I ordered mine from best buy within a week of April 10, they sent me the laptop in the same box that they must have received from apple. It has a date of 3/24/2015, which I believe was the date that it was packaged in China and then a ship date of 3/31/15 to somewhere in TN that best buy must have a warehouse, it was carton 21/30. Screw it, I will just post the pic lol. [​IMG]

17. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Thank you so much.

18. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

I also got a Space Grey one (I didn't like the gold very much) that I ordered directly from Apple on April 10th when the store came live - and it says it was made on April 19th.

So even Initial Orders weren't even made till a week and a half later?! AKA there were VERY little already made by April 10th. Crazy apple. What a terrible launch...