How many series 3 versions are there?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by smudger2468, Jun 2, 2018.

1. smudger2468 macrumors newbie

Am I correct in saying there are only 2 types of Series 3 Apple Watch?

Which are GPS & GPS with Cellular?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

SS, Edition, 38mm, 42mm, Hermes, Niki+, Gold, Space Gray, Space Black

3. smudger2468 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks however, I’m interested in buying one but am confused about the GPS and Cellular. I’m not concerned about colours etc just want to know if they come in GPS & GPS with Celluar only or are there other models?

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Correct. Other than materials and colors, only difference is if the watch has cellular or not.

(Well, the cellular watch does have twice the flash storage, and 50% more RAM memory.)

5. smudger2468 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

50% more RAM? Are you sure? Cellular watch has 1GB of RAM?

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Apple hasn't said anything about RAM differences that I'm aware of and it is not a listed spec. There are only 2 spec differences (besides the cell radios) listed.

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 5.51.42 AM.png

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Well, it's what Wikipedia claims. Take with some salt perhaps.

768MB actually. :) All non-cellular watches so far have had 512MB RAM.

Presumably, the extra RAM would be for holding code/libraries and data buffers and so on associated with cellular communications, and possibly also additional data buffers for things like music streaming.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Cellular watch has 768 MB RAM? That’s pretty cool. Didn’t know that. But by my daily use, it is not that obvious to notice the effect of extra ram.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2018 ---
    That’s why I feel so shocked.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

WikePedia is _not_ a validated source, because it can be edited by anyone. I would use Apples direct website, which they don’t mention anything of how much ram the Apple Watch specifically has.

11. Lennyvalentin, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018

Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

They hardly state anything about the specifics of the SoC of the watch. CPU (of modern watches) is "dual core"; that's pretty much as far as it goes... :p Nothing about what CPU core exactly it is, clock frequencies, nothing. (Including RAM capacity.)

It's quite possible any extra RAM would be sequestered away from general use by wOS, specifically to not affect the user experience and make the non-cellular watches look worse, and thus less attractive... :p

Apple has done similar things before*, like with iPhones using Intel versus Qualcomm cellular modems, where maximum connection speed was capped on Qualcomm models to the top speed of the slower Intel modem.

*Assuming they are doing it now, that is. :D

12. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

People get bogged down in the weeds so much... I think the OP is just asking what are the major models and if there's any capabilities s/he's missing. Heres the major differences between Series 3 models.

GPS only: Only comes in Aluminum casing (silver, space grey, gold); composite (plastic) backing; Ion-X glass on screen.

GPS+LTE: Comes in Aluminum (silver, space grey, gold), Stainless Steel (black, silver), and ceramic (white, grey). Saphire crystal on screen (very scratch resistant), ceramic backing (also more scratch resistant), 8 extra GB memory over GPS only version.

13. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

I might bump Wikipedia up to 2GB RAM, just for jokes!