How many songs do you have saved in offline mode?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by appleuser15, Mar 21, 2016.

1. appleuser15 macrumors member

On apple music? Just curious to compare with others

2. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

None. haha The caching system works really well for me. I commute over an hour and most of the drive I have very little service. Calls are next to impossible. My iPhone seems to do a great job of getting an album cached in the times I have service and the brief times I have service on the drive, and It rarely drops out. I even do high quality streaming.

I rarely use the radio feature or just let it play. I'm someone who usually finds an album or two a week and listen to those albums (and other music) until it gets old and I find new music. I love Apple Music and it works better for me than Google Music and Spotify, both of which I have had subscriptions for.

3. appleuser15 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input. Can you tell me what the caching system is? I don't know about this and it sounds interesting

4. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I don't know any hard facts about it.

Let's say I have an hour drive and I have solid LTE for the first 10 minutes. I put on an album when I start driving. In that time it will start caching songs that will be played next so if service goes away it doesn't stop playing music.. Even though I haven't saved any of those songs for offline playing.

A couple things to note:
    I cannot skip songs if my iPhone says "no service." I cannot chose a different song or anything else. But it will always continue playing as long as there is music in a que. If I have so much as 1 bar of 4G (which isn't enough to send a text usually) then I can skip and whatever else. Also, say I have a song that I haven't played today but a few times in the recent past, I can play that song (and many like it) instantly without waiting on it to buffer when I have that low 4G. Likewise, if I have a song that's been in my library for a while but I haven't played it in a month or two, it will require a buffer period(with low signal) and usually won't play.

This would mean that Apple Music saves a certain amount of music (assuming your storage isn't full) to the hard drive in the phone with out telling you.

Like I said, the actually workings of this may differ, but this is what I experience.

Does this answer your question?

5. appleuser15 thread starter macrumors member

Sure does, and that sounds great :D