How Many Still using iPod touch 3G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ty7u5, Dec 2, 2011.

1. ty7u5 macrumors member

I still have an iPod touch third generation and I was wondering how many others are still actively using theirs. I'm not planning on upgrading until 5G, which will likely be a beefier update. Thoughts...opinions?

2. afroAnt macrumors regular

I still have mine, it's still fast as ever and going really strong. I don't feel I need an upgrade but I don't usually upgrade to new iPods anyway, I wait for my iPod to die and become unsupported before I upgrade. For example I went from an iPod nano 1st gen to the iTouch 3rd gen which is about 4-5 years years difference.

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

3g?

3G? Heck, I still use my 2G and my son gets a lot of use out of his 1G iPod touch.

4. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    I don't have one personally, but my mom uses her 2G all the time. It's pretty much perfect for her. She can check her work email on it from home, which she does basically to delete spam. And she can play music on it when she goes for walks or works out at the gym.

5. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

My wife still uses her 2G that I bought her several years ago. I asked her if she wanted me to upgrade her to the 4G and she said "Nope, I'm perfectly happy with the iPod I have".

6. hamlin macrumors regular

7. Macsparky, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

Macsparky macrumors newbie

Use mine all the time, in the Jeep, on the bike, in the house hooked into my sound system, I hope it plays for years more I love it... 32gig model... OWC has battery replacement service if it ever goes out that's where I'm sending it for a new one.....Peace....:apple:

8. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    I asked my wife the same when the new iPhone came out. She has a 4 and when I told her it looks the same and the only new feature she'd want is the new camera she said no way.

9. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I still own and use a 32GB 3rd Gen iPod touch. It's running the latest version of iOS (currently 5.0.1), but it has just enough room for my entire music library, my contacts, and my calendars, and thusly, has nothing in the way of apps, videos, or photos. I imagine it'll stay that way until I can scrounge up enough money for a 64GB 4th Gen iPod touch to replace it with, which I'd imagine I'd use for both music AND apps AND videos AND photos, and anything else that I could possibly use on my iPod touch that I can't currently due to space limitations. So for now, it's solely being used as an MP3 player, and if I can't afford said 64GB 4th Gen iPod touch (or whatever replaces it on the next go around) to replace this one with by the time my 32GB 3rd Gen iPod touch is disallowed from being able to run the latest version of iOS, then I imagine I'll continue to use it solely in the fashion that I have; if my first generation iPod touch was also of the 32GB variety, I'd probably still be using it for the same things that I do now; subsequent iPod touch revisions, aside from providing things like cameras and bluetooth, really only bring with them the ability to run newer versions of iOS, and thusly the ability to run newer apps. If you don't have apps installed, or rely on a different iOS device to use apps, it drastically increases the duration of an iPod touch's usefulness.

10. johnhw macrumors 6502

My 3G has iOS5 installed and is very snappy. Battery is the same has no problems whatsoever.

11. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Still use my 2G occasionally. However, the external speaker quit working about 4 months ago. The only way I could get it to work again was to plug it into my stereo unit in the car and unplug it again really quickly, it would work, but then after the iPod would go back to sleep it would stop working again. :/

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I still use a 3rd gen Touch. It works great with the latest IOS and I see no reason to upgrade but I will next year if they actually update the current Touch :D.

13. Vincent Freeman macrumors newbie

Still using 2G and it's an amazing device knowing it's quite old by todays standards.

14. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

I got my 3rd Gen in February of 2010. I was tempted to get a the white iPod Touch 4 for the camera and Retina display but since Apple did not release a new hardware Touch I am sticking with my 3rd Gen iPod touch. iOS 5 runs great on the 3rd Gen as I keep my iPod Touch in my Belkin dock hooked up to my stereo and use it mainly to stream Internet Radio using the various radio apps. I usually wait until my device is no longer supported with iOS updates and my warranty expired before I upgrade my iPod's.

15. penfan82 macrumors regular

Yep use it to listen to radio apps like pandora or podcasts still going strong no need to upgrade use my classic mainly for music and have iPad and getting a 4s but still make use of my touch

16. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

17. Photics macrumors regular

I use a Second Generation iPod Touch for development/testing.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Me too! I have a smartphone, but my 2g in a dock is the perfect alarm clock/digital picture frame/Words with Friends player.

19. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

My 32GB 1g is still chugging along. If it's not broke, don't fix it (or replace it). haha

20. waynep macrumors 6502

21. tehpea macrumors member

I know someone who has an iPod Touch 2G, purchased on release day - he's been using it ever since, and he uses it all the time, almost every day, with the battery still going strong, games still flowing at 60fps and with everything working just fine. It's only got one or two scratches as well, and he's never used a case - which is impressive, on its own!

22. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

23. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Nope never bought a 3G, started with 4G touch.

A couple of my friends still has 2G, I'm surprised that its actually decent at functioning. It runs most of the apps but after viewing 4G's retina display 2G's display is extremely pixelated.

24. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I am still using my iPod touch 3G and still love it. I was going to upgrade to this Christmas, because I was under the wrong assumption that there would be a new release with better cameras. Until they drop some decent cameras in a new model, I am more than happy with using my 3G.

The only drawback is when I go directly from my wife's 4S to the 3G, the change in resolution is very noticeable. After using it for a while, though, I don't seem to notice it much.

Since the 3G is older, I enjoy using it the most, since it is worth the least and I am not always worrying about ruining it!!

25. tmagman macrumors 6502

3G? Try 1G! Still works, battery isn't stellar on it but hey its great for around the house or as my apple tv remote