How many suckers still think iPad 3 is coming out this fall?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 53x12, Feb 28, 2011.

1. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

How many bought into the speculation by John Gruber when there is no real evidence of Apple changing their release cycle? I say don't hold your breath.

2. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I am unsure what to think about it. John Gruber made it sound like he was speculating but it's a pretty random thought, so maybe he knows more then he's letting on.

TechCrunch also seemed to confirm that an iPad would be coming at the September event.

I definitely wouldn't say people are suckers for thinking it when someone like Gruber mentions it. He's dead on (when he's "guessing ;)) all the time.

3. boodyup macrumors member

I can't image the cost to implement the "retina" display would go down that substantially in a matter of a few months that it would be worth re-tooling all of the manufacturing process for a new ipad. The whole thought seems a bit whacky.

4. SA22C macrumors regular

TechCrunch would 'confirm' that the sky is green if they thought it would bring them hit counts. Gruber's speculating and they're just hanging on for the off chance that he's onto something.

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I do. There's good reasons to think not—it's completely against Apple's m.o. And there's good reasons to think they will—aligning a gift-able item with a holiday refresh.

But it wouldn't be a total refresh. Whatever is announced this Wednesday will still be on sale after a fall addition to the line-up, just at a reduced price point. Apple *will* go into the holidays with a $399 iPad.

No one knows. It's fun to speculate, though. I just don't understand why so many people are petulant a-holes about others' opinions.

6. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

I think opinions/hopes are different than speculation/making up a story. Especially within tech bloggers. iPad 2 isn't even out yet and you have Gruber talking about version 3. Sure we would all like that update of things we wished our dream iPad to have. But to just pull it out of your butt and make it sound like gospel truth is a bit over the top.

7. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Don't you think the Mac and iPad releases are stacking too closely up with each other right now? The only way to shift the iPad release out without waiting 18 months is doing a release in 6 after March.

I don't know..

Some of the reasoning seems right, but it's impossible to know what Apple might do.

8. hi res macrumors member

hi res

I agree with Monsieur Patton, changing the refresh cycle closer to the holidays could bring [even] more sales to Apple. If it does come that soon, it seems the deuce will still be a high ticket item...resale value will probably be pretty great, so those of us getting the deuce won't feel like complete a-holes for buying a product with rumors of an update around the corner. I'd imagine a six-month old iPad will still fetch a nice price.

9. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

who did that?

10. Davichi macrumors 6502

Doubtful, but interesting idea. iPad 2 will sell like hot cakes and apple already had a hard time rolling out iPad on other countries last year.

I don't think they will be able to launch on every countries by September and they will release iPad 3? Doubtful.

11. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Yeah, AFAIK Gruber admits that he is freely speculating. He's been known for being pretty perceptive though, so I wouldn't throw it away immediately.

12. fanboy05 macrumors regular

fanboy05

not for one second do I think they will undercut their sales by doing a ipad 3 any time before next year...

When they update the ipod in the fall, I could see a larger ipod, but I am sure it would fall under a smaller ipod touch device, and not a full size tablet.

Mr. Gruber seems to like to stir the pot for publicity. He doesn't impress me ...

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I agree with Gruber's speculation, though. I don't think Apple's current release schedule is a very good one; a fall release schedule would probably be better. Further, the iPad is facing quickly-advancing competition, so a 6-month release cycle might do it better.

And thirdly...they can't quite get a retina display yet, but 1024x768 is going to start looking bad next to the 1280 displays from the competition if the iPad stays at that resolution for the next year.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Gruber speculates less than the average MR forum poster (or at least, he posts his speculation less often). He also heavily prefaces when he is actually speculating, as he did in this case. It's the forum posters taking it as out-of-context-gospel-truth; in the context of his actual statements, I can't see how you can take it as "stirring the pot for publicity".

15. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

doesn't really matter

won't be getting a new iPad until June when we find out if Apple drives away the e-book content providers with its odious 30% from books they neither develop or host.

Kindle pulls, I'll be looking at a Xoom or some other ebook friendly platform.

16. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I'm not sure I buy into the idea that the freshly emerging competition is forcing Apple's hand here. They had the jump on everybody, because Jobs openly admitted - when he said that they only realized that iOS was good for a phone during iPad development - that this thing's been in the pipe for years, and it really shows. So what we have emerging now from the competition is the product of approximately 1 year - maybe 18 months, if some were clued into what Apple was doing - of R&D, testing etc. Which, to me, means that for now, Apple still has a year in hand.

17. urkel, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

The iPad is a product that was due for an upgrade since launch. And I wouldnt be surprised if the iPad 2 was ready months ago but held back in order to not cramp sales of the original. It's a good move in terms of milking customers but in the last few weeks then the Tablet market has absolutely broken wide open and it doesnt seem like the iPad 2 will give us anything "new and exciting".

I absolutely love the iPad but if the iPad 2's biggest feature is a Facetime camera then Apple will be the one playing catch-up to the Touchpad, Playbook and Honeycomb.

18. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Everyone keeps saying ti would make sense for Apple to refresh iPods and iPads at the same time... but would it really? I usually get a new iPod when they come out, and will probably do the same with iPads. If they came out at the same time, I definitely wouldn't be upgrading both of them... not at the same time anyways.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Gruber was also leaning towards the September announcement for the iPad 2, but here we are with a 3/2 event.

20. 53x12 thread starter macrumors 68000

53x12

Yup, that is why I am saying he probably isn't right with this one. Say it goes on sale in a few weeks. If this is as popular as iPad 1, not sure why Apple would release a new one in ~6 months. I doubt Apple will have problems selling the iPad 2, especially if the rumors are correct that supply is going to be lower than demand.

21. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

The only way for an iPad 3 this year, is when steve's job is dying and as a last wish, he want the uber ipad to blow all competitors out of the water.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If they release a third one, it will be smaller like the Galaxy Tab but keep the 2's resolution which will then be a retina display.