iPhone X How many times a month do you drop your iPhone?

How many times a month do you drop your iPhone?

• Few times a year

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • 1-3 times a month

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • 5-10 times a month

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • More than 10 times a month

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Never have

Votes: 41 37.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Please state which model you’re using.

I’m on iPhone X.

I’d say 1-3 times a month. No damage at all because I have a case!

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
iPhone 6s Plus.
To be perfectly honest, I drop my phone from time to time from my bed because I tend to use the phone will falling asleep.
Now my front glass has a small noticeable crack, but does not impact my use at all. Also some scratches around the edge. I don’t like using a case so this is kinda inevitable over 3 years of normal use.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
Xs Max.

I think I’ve dropped my phone twice in the last 4 years since my iPhone 6 days. I never use case or screen protectors since iPhone 4S days.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Xs Max.

I think I’ve dropped my phone twice in the last 4 years since my iPhone 6 days. I never use case or screen protectors since iPhone 4S days.
Have you dropped the Max????? You’re bold if you don’t have a case for that thing!!! I wouldn’t be able to do it not just because it’s expensive of course but also because it would be MUCH EASIER for me to drop since the bigger size is harder to handle for me. All that naked glass would just feel so vulnerable lol

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
Have you dropped the Max????? You’re bold if you don’t have a case for that thing!!! I wouldn’t be able to do it not just because it’s expensive of course but also because it would be MUCH EASIER for me to drop since the bigger size is harder to handle for me. All that naked glass would just feel so vulnerable lol
Nope never. I’ve only dropped the iPhone 6 once and my iPhone 8 Plus once. That’s it. Can’t remember before that.

Reactions: Hieveryone

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
I rarely drop mine, but when I do, I’m glad I have a screen protector and case. My folks drop theirs all the time. I probably replace their screen protectors about 5x a month. :/

There was one time when I just unboxed a brand new iPhone and the moment I took it out, it went flying out of my hand and cartwheeled across the floor. Now my phone goes from box to case immediately. I’m paranoid.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
I rarely drop mine, but when I do, I’m glad I have a screen protector and case. My folks drop theirs all the time. I probably replace their screen protectors about 5x a month. :/

There was one time when I just unboxed a brand new iPhone and the moment I took it out, it went flying out of my hand and cartwheeled across the floor. Now my phone goes from box to case immediately. I’m paranoid.
Personally I hate cases because it ruins the looks and the whole experience of owning such an awesome piece of hardware. What’s the point of spending over a grand to buy the device and covering it up with some cheap plastic?! Nah!

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
Personally I hate cases because it ruins the looks and the whole experience of owning such an awesome piece of hardware. What’s the point of spending over a grand to buy the device and covering it up with some cheap plastic?! Nah!
It’s a minimal case ... as in you barely notice it’s a case, and it’s saved my phone several times. It’s also flush with the protruding camera so I can lay it perfectly flat. Also, my thoughts are the exact opposite as yours ... as in ... why spend a thousand bucks on a device and not protect it? I get you like the look, but broken isn’t a good look on any phone. I personally prefer Apple’s genuine leather cases over most of what’s available. I saw a 50 foot drop test of the leather case and the phone was still in tact ... bent quite a bit ... but functional. Obviously you'll probably never drop your phone from that high, but it’s still very impressive.

Also, I always sell my phone to upgrade to a new one, and my phones always look mint because of the case and screen protector, so I get more money for the phone.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I remember one time, either the 3GS or 5, when it slipped off my lap onto tarmac whilst exiting the car. Pretty sure that’s it though.

It’s why I’ve gone a very minimalistic case on the X. Case is for front & back lay on table placement & back coverage more than anything. Having the sides exposed allows a better grip on the phone, lessening the chance of dropages.

Last edited:

Ermir444

macrumors regular
May 12, 2017
So you dont spend another grand to replace screen + back glass...

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
6S
1-3 times, Apple silicone case, one scuff on the bottom edge.

love this phone

Calebtt

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
I've had my iPhones in Apple leather case since the 6 and I've dropped the 6 and 8 plus but no damages. I haven't dropped the X yet had it about a year now.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
It’s a minimal case ... as in you barely notice it’s a case, and it’s saved my phone several times. It’s also flush with the protruding camera so I can lay it perfectly flat. Also, my thoughts are the exact opposite as yours ... as in ... why spend a thousand bucks on a device and not protect it? I get you like the look, but broken isn’t a good look on any phone. I personally prefer Apple’s genuine leather cases over most of what’s available. I saw a 50 foot drop test of the leather case and the phone was still in tact ... bent quite a bit ... but functional. Obviously you'll probably never drop your phone from that high, but it’s still very impressive.

Also, I always sell my phone to upgrade to a new one, and my phones always look mint because of the case and screen protector, so I get more money for the phone.
So you dont spend another grand to replace screen + back glass...
Given my history of dropping / breaking devices, this is not something I get worried about much. I’ve hardly dropped my devices ever.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Cross my fingers but I've never dropped an iPhone except on to a bed.

Both my XZ Max and R are quite heavy devices but I'm happy with the cases I bought.

I do wish Apple had brought out their own leather cases as I have one on my Max and would like one for my R.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I’d have to say once a year, maybe. And then usually as it will fall out of the pocket in my purse.

Now on the other hand, my husband probably drops his daily. Needless to say, he has a more protective case than I do.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
8 Plus. I can’t say “never”, but less frequently than “a few times a year”. I can recall maybe 3 drops of ALL my iPhones, going back to my 3GS. No damage from any of them though. I use minimal protection, but the drops were from relatively low heights.

DJ_Smith

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
Montana USA
Personally I hate cases. What’s the point of spending over a grand to buy the device and covering it up with some cheap plastic?! Nah!
Ok Son. You need to remember “not” every body pamper their device like you do.

I drop my device maybe twice or thrice a day. I don’t want extra attention on my device I have better things to do in life. Slap a case and no worries.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I drop my device maybe twice or thrice a day. I don’t want extra attention on my device I have better things to do in life. Slap a case and no worries.
I do not consider it pampering by NOT dropping my phone 2-3 times a DAY!

Good Grief!

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016

Erm, I don’t really pay attention to how I use my devices or pamper it, to be honest. Although I do not throw things around in general alongside taking care of the better things in life.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

I’m with you here. I like a minimal, great fitting case and edge to edge screen protector. I have the Apple black leather case on my phone. When I upgrade, my devices are purchased by members of my son-in-law’s family. So I like to have them in nice shape. I also like having a phone for myself in decent shape.

BigG94

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Some people are simply clumsy. But having a smartphone is virtually a prerequisite these days.

I just bought my first iPhone, coming over from Android. Before I activate it, it will be in a rugged case ... Pelican Shield, made of Kevlar ... and have a TGSP applied. My Androids have lived in, in succession, an Otterbox and two Ballistic cases and also had screen protection.

I do this even with purchasing uh-oh insurance. I also always use my phone two-handed and I never carry it in my hands or a pocket but in a geeky leather pouch on my belt with a magnetic closure.

I do this because I am clumsy. My wife's nickname for me is Albert AllThumbs.

I cannot function in my job without a smartphone. So I do what works for me.

More power to you if you do otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.