How many times can Mac Os 10.5 be istalled??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaReaper, Dec 27, 2008.

1. DaReaper macrumors member

Hi,

I'm new to the scene and i just bought a Mac Os 10.5 dvd to install on a older macbook. I'm sure if this is true but i was told that the dvd can only be installed once. I hope this is not true since they charge 139.00 for the dvd. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

It will work as many times as you wish... Legally though, it can only be installed on one Mac at once.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is meant to be installed on only one computer
    It can be used to reinstall

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

...on that computer as many times as you want. It cannot be installed on multiple computers at once unless you buy a family pack.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I mean the DVD won't explode or anything, but yeah, like MacDawg said, it is meant to be installed on one machine ... read your license agreement.

6. DaReaper thread starter macrumors member

ok so it will only work on the computer i installed it on in the first place??? dont mean to be a pain but i just need to reinstall it so i can ship my old macbook i sold.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your old MacBook should have its own install discs. Don't install a retail copy of leopard on a MacBook you just sold if you're using that same retail copy on a machine you're keeping because to keep in line with the license, you need to furnish the leopard install disc as well.

What OS came on your old MacBook?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That and there wont be any iLife, I'd be pissed if I was the buyer and I thought I was getting it with all the original software.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh good point! There's something I had forgotten when I was thinking of taking my PowerBook from Tiger to Leopard. But I do own retail copies of iLife 06 and 08 (08 is halfway useless on a PPC machine though).

Sounds like the MacBook has sold, now the OP is on the hook for a fresh install of Leopard ... my guess is this will turn out badly.

10. DaReaper thread starter macrumors member

the old macbook is from 06 it came with tiger, so i got 10.5 and installed it on that macbook. and when i got my new macbook yesterday it already came with 10.5 so i was gonna just give the dvd to a buddy of mine.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....if you installed 10.5 from the dvd on the Macbook you sold you should give the DVD with that Macbook, not "to a buddy." By installing it and then giving the disc away to someone else you are in violation of the license agreement....oh yeah!

12. DaReaper thread starter macrumors member

yea i'll do that then... but they wont have a problem installing it right??