How many times can you restore from Time Machine on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok I messed up some stuff with my iTunes twice already (got my MBP 4 days ago) and had to restore from Time Machine twice. I did 2 COMPLETE restore's where you insert SL and redo everything to the day when it wasn't messed up.

I didn't know I could just restore the iTunes folder so I've done my complete MBP twice. I ended up getting everything to work fine. But now I'm wondering, did I or could I mess up my MBP by completely restoring the entire computer a certain amount of times?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can restore as often as you need to.

3. simsaladimbamba

You can restore it as often as you want. There is no artificial limit. Maybe you should look into disk cloning, as it is much faster to restore from a clone.
    Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy.

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah it took about an hour. So this method works a lot faster and backs up to the external I'm using on Time Machine?

5. simsaladimbamba

If your backup only took an hour, than there is no need for cloning, but a clone is bootable, which is TM not.
    If you would have several 100GBs of data to backup, a clone would be faster than TM, especially the restoring part. But you seem to have not so much data (in GB), thus TM should be fine for your purposes.
    Just make sure, that you have two backups of your very important data (which can't be restored via downloading it from somewhere), I have two backups of my photography and video footage, thus I have three copies of each.
    And one backup should always be stored at another location, in case your house burns down or gets burglarised.

6. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Now that would suck. But yeah I only have like 70GB so I'll check it out when I get more GB's of data.