How many times has your Mac Pro paid for itself?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottrichardson, Feb 7, 2013.

?

How many times has your Mac Pro paid for itself over?

1. < 5

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. 5 - 10

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. 10 - 20

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. 20 - 40

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. 40 - 80

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. 80 - 200

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. 200+

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. scottrichardson macrumors 6502

No need to tout exact dollar figures.. but the pros here use these workhorses to generate income, and push them hard to do so.

How many times has your specific Mac Pro paid for itself over?

Mine's an 09' model which I got in December '09.

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Well,

do you have any suggestions on how we are supposed to compute this? I mean, are we supposed to compare the generated revenue of the Pro to what we could create if we had an alternative (like an iMac or a Wintel box), or just in the sense of what we've accomplished using our pro's.

Also, quite honestly I think the poll should have had a selection for <1, as
    - some have had their pro's for a short time
    - some use their pro's for pro bono (but nevertheless serious) work
    - some are students
    - etc...

RGDS,

3. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

Happy to add <1. How on earth do I modify the poll?

I guess was asking how many times have you been able to earn the amount that you paid for you MP.

If your MP cost you $2000, and you have made $16000, then you have made it's costs back 8 times :) Generally speaking.

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I haven't bought a new one since 2004...let me elaborate.

Got the dual 2.5 G5 in 2004. Began having issues with it. Eventually I blew my processors and logic board...twice...hooray Applecare! Then right after my Applecare expired I started having more issues, crashes etc. My Apple store agreed to service it even after my Applecare expired on the grounds that the problems I was initially having were not repaired through numerous services. After waiting for parts to come in I sent an email to Steve Jobs politely asking about replacement unit policy. The next day the manager from my Apple store called and said I was getting a new machine. I've been rocking my 2006 MacPro since.

So yeah...in almost 10 years of use, 80+ times my investment easy, then again I was never good at math lol...

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Each time I turn on my web cam and log into my site.

6. Varmann macrumors member

5-10 times even though I do not use my MacPro for work.

I bougth it 2008 instead of build yet another high-end PC for the same cost (actually the previous 5 years I had alt least every two years built a new pc every single one costing more than my MacPro, I built 2-cpu with scsi-raid and used the highest quality parts I could afford). My Macpro was a bargain in comparison, and I have saved at least two more pc-upgrades after that.

In addition i was able to do something had struggled to get my pc´s to do but never managed - digitalize my entire dvd and cd collection ( 3000+ disks) and integrate the mac smoothly into my sound and movie system.

Not an easy task, i was at a highend hifi store and showed them a drawing of what I wanted working together. They told me that it was not possible, they had no such solution. But I manged to solve it and that is worth a lot:)

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

What is it exactly that you do?

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My Mac Pro holds every photo taken of my family for the last 8 years...

My Mac Pro helps me create, it doesn't earn income but it opens doors in my current work...

My Mac Pro contains every video important to my daughter whether they be her favorite movies or her dancing videos..

My Mac pro contains all my personal data for the last 15 years...

My Mac Pro contains all the back ups and clones of the 5 family Mac's...

My Mac Pro contains all the information about every computer I've built...

My Mac Pro contains all the invoices and receipts for that business...

None of these things directly make me money, but if they disappear I will loose a big part of my life..All of these things could be and have been done on a variety of other computers. I have 15TB of life sitting inside a computer thats worth far more than money..

9. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

I sure hope your backups are in order...

RGDS,

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Many times over..

11. Wardenski macrumors 6502

12. MacPoulet macrumors regular

I just got my 2006 Mac Pro (equipment surplus sale, yay!) so it hasn't paid for itself yet.

Just used it to cut my new demo reel for a job. If I get it, then it will have paid for itself *many* times over.

13. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Certified webcam tester, obviously.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

hahah Yeah that!

Actually nothing like that. But my MP paid for itself after shooting a couple "budget" weddings.

15. scottrichardson thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, sounds like my experience with my dual 2.5 G5 also haha! I ended up getting my money back even though I was WAY out of my Apple Care period... long story, similar to yours :)

Been rocking Mac Pro's ever since though. When I was in my full time position I got one of the first generation quad XEON Mac Pros... then replaced with a dual quad 2.8 from 2008... the really good value one... and now rocking the 2009 octo 2.93Ghz top end model fully specced up. Runs like a dream.

16. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Strictly for work issues.....

I would calculate scenarios ranging from 3-5 times. Adding personal subjects, I can easily climb up to 7....:)

I have been very well served for my Mac Pro, I suppose.....;)

:):apple:

17. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

If I could resist the temptation to play on it and only work, it would many times over I'm sure.

Would be a very hard expense to justify if not used for business for me.

18. Ozric macrumors newbie

My 2010 MacPro is an editing workstation, AVID and Final Cut Pro 7, plus, a home movie and photo depository, a gaming machine, and monitors webcams above ground where I cannot see. It's a work thing first, a home thing second, and allows me to make money in my underwear at home while others drive cars to distant places wasting time and gas and lunch money. My deliverable is a small uploaded web file, no tapes or DVD anymore, no shipping charges. The MacPro as it stands now is expandable, flexible, Geekbench 23000 range, and I can't complain. It's all good.

19. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Perhaps we could have a 0 option for all of us "enthusiasts" out there.