how many times will data be replecated

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mac2thefuture, Oct 19, 2009.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

Say I import footage from my camcorder into iMovie, and then make a dvd with iDVD for friends etc and share it to iTunes to watch on my apple tv - how many time will this one lot of footage be saved on my hard drive?:confused:

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Quite a few. Use an external disk for larger video, especially 'work in progress', if its a problem.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

It all depends on your workflow. If you're editing in lossess formats you might have a few different versions of similar videos. If you are doing something really simple, it could just be two files. Why does it matter anyway?

4. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

because my hdrive has just been hit with 80gig of what i assume is replicated footage. I just want to end up with only the end eddited data. I must confesss, I struggle here with the management of imported data. I'm sure i'm often doubling if not triplecating with iPhoto also :-(

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

If 80GB is a problem, just get a bigger HD, or better, an external HD for working video, just keeping the final version on your internal.

iPhoto does duplicate, you'll have at least 2x for a start,as it keeps the original unless you are (IMHO) foolish enough to remove it. Just working it out I have about 10x - original memory card copied to external HD, 2 copies in iPhoto (that iPhoto makes), those 2 copies again in TM, those 2 again offsite on Amazon S3, and the same again on an infrequent cloned copy to another external HD.

Disk is cheap, data isn't, the philosophy should be to protect your data rather than minimise copies for the sake of $100 or so.