Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

how much ram did you order?

• 11 mba 4 gig ram

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • 11 mba 8 gig ram

Votes: 25 17.6%
  • 13 mba 4 gig ram

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • 13 mba 8 gig ram

Votes: 96 67.6%

• Total voters

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
8Gb - didn't even think twice about this, is a cheap upgrade and was one of the main reasons I felt able to go for a MBA now, the 4Gb limit had put me off before

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
the thing is, if you go in store and talk to 10 random people. 8/10 would buy the base model and not even consider the 8gb or know what the difference is. Most people just go in store, try it, and buy it

This is true. Was at a best buy and an apple store this weekend checking out what I wanted. Saw three people buy MacBook airs in store with the 4gb option and another at a best buy. I think there are more "regular" people gettin 4gb than this poll shows. I've always been a big upgrader on the pros but after using my GF MBA and keeping an eye on the ram usage for a full day I'm going to opt for 4gb. No page outs and only 2.5gb or less usage. Chrome, mail, iTunes, word and vlc all open, still no issues. Plus i ipgrade annually lol. Gaming might be another matter however but she's played d3 with Skype on it fine too haha

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
This is true. Was at a best buy and an apple store this weekend checking out what I wanted. Saw three people buy MacBook airs in store with the 4gb option and another at a best buy. I think there are more "regular" people gettin 4gb than this poll shows. I've always been a big upgrader on the pros but after using my GF MBA and keeping an eye on the ram usage for a full day I'm going to opt for 4gb. No page outs and only 2.5gb or less usage. Chrome, mail, iTunes, word and vlc all open, still no issues. Plus i ipgrade annually lol. Gaming might be another matter however but she's played d3 with Skype on it fine too haha

You don't have to be a "regular" person to not need more than 4 GB RAM. I ran more than 10 apps at a time, but none of them consume a lot of RAM, so 4 GB is enough for me and that's why I got the 13" base model. If you run VMs and multiple Adobe products you need 8 GB. Future proofing is a different discussion, I might upgrade the MBA in 2 years so I don't care about how my MBA will run the new OS 5 years from now.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
You don't have to be a "regular" person to not need more than 4 GB RAM. I ran more than 10 apps at a time, but none of them consume a lot of RAM, so 4 GB is enough for me and that's why I got the 13" base model. If you run VMs and multiple Adobe products you need 8 GB. Future proofing is a different discussion, I might upgrade the MBA in 2 years so I don't care about how my MBA will run the new OS 5 years from now.

Yeah agreed. I use "regular" lightly, which is why I quoted it, mostly in terms of how people of forums view consumers that don't frequent message boards.

hoychristian

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
Yeah agreed. I use "regular" lightly, which is why I quoted it, mostly in terms of how people of forums view consumers that don't frequent message boards.

aznguyen316! I was wondering about the school deal on MBA at BB, did your sibling manage to get off $160 off of the original price of the $1199 MBA?
If so, I am planning to do the same thing to save more cash overall. Thanks :)

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
aznguyen316! I was wondering about the school deal on MBA at BB, did your sibling manage to get off $160 off of the original price of the $1199 MBA?
If so, I am planning to do the same thing to save more cash overall. Thanks :)

Yes he did. The coupon code is unique though as he tried to let a friend use it and there's a whole history thing for coupon usage or something they can check. But YES he got $160 off the package, NO gift card though. ($60 sale price + $100 off coupon).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.