How many USB portable hard drives per hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by winkosmosis, Mar 22, 2015.

1. winkosmosis macrumors member

With USB 2.0 the max amperage was 0.5amp and generally you could run a single 2.5" hard drive per port. To use multiple per hub you needed an AC adapter.

But USB 3.0 max amperage is 2amp. Does that mean you can plug 3-4 hard drives into an unpowered hub?

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

No, because the amperage on Mac USB3 ports is 0.95A.

3. winkosmosis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I didn't know the max was so low, I figured the spec required 2A

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I haven't confirmed it through another source, but this is from the USB Wikipedia page:

"As with previous USB versions, USB 3.0 ports come in low-power and high-power variants, providing 150 mA and 900 mA respectively, while simultaneously transmitting data at SuperSpeed rates.[25] Additionally, there is a Battery Charging Specification (Version 1.2 – December 2010), which increases the power handling capability to 1.5 A but does not allow concurrent data transmission.[22] The Battery Charging Specification requires that the physical ports themselves be capable of handling 5 A of current[citation needed] but limits the maximum current drawn to 1.5 A."

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Regardless of power, hanging more that two USB3 drives off a USB3 hub is not reliable with many hubs. It is a USB3 thing, the simpler USB2 drives did not have as many issues. But multiple drives on a USB hub connected to a Mac has always been problematic.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Especially if you use USB 3.0 hubs with more than one USB 3.0 hub controller chip (all USB 3.0 hubs with more than 4 ports).

7. William Auld macrumors newbie

My USB 3.0 hub supports only two drives, the third one i have to plug to my mac.