how many use mba with external display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tim100, Apr 4, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

how many user mba with an external display or apple thunderbolt?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Many people. Not really sure why this question matters.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

Fullscreen apps ruined external second displays for me. it just drives me nuts to see that huge grey linen rather than actual workspace.

4. Oli3000 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

That's true urkel, but still nice to have a 24"+ main display alone!

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I sometimes use the mini DVI adaptor and connect my MBA to the TV, I'm not allowed to sit for too long at my desk these day's, so it's a bonus. I use it for my MBP and iMac too.

6. LordVic macrumors 68040

I use the VGA dongle to connect to a 19" external display. nothing fancy

But I tend to lean towards Windows 7 for that setup as OSx lions handling of multiple monitors is downright disastrous

7. jahala macrumors regular

At home I use my 11" macbook air with a Samsung 24" 1080p monitor for dual screens. At work I use it with two 19" 1280x1024 monitors for triple screens using one of those USB video adapters. It works quite well.

8. bogatyr macrumors 65816

At work I use a TBD as the sole display - multi-monitor sucks in OS X and 27" makes for plenty of space.

Though it's quite expensive compared to a windows machine - 2 monitors + dock usually runs me about $650... far from the $950 work paid for my TBD.

9. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how will rumored retina displays affect macbook airs and apple thunderbolt displays? will everything be compatible i.e. a apple thunderbolt display with say a retina macbook?

10. bogatyr macrumors 65816

My assumption is the MBA would use HiDPI mode (or whatever it is called) for the internal LCD and normal mode for the TBD (or any normal DPI display). Shouldn't be an issue.

11. Risasi macrumors 6502

I find myself using it increasingly more often for work, it takes some of the neck strain away, from looking down all the time. It also removes alot of the eye strain from connecting to user workstations which have dual display setups.

Generally I hook my laptop up to a monitor and position the monitor above my laptop, then drag the menu bar to the external monitor to make it the default. That way all my stuff gets moved to the main screen and I kind of just ignore the laptop monitor, but can still use the keyboard and trackpad.
    It's also nice because OSX will "remember" that monitor. It positions and moves stuff on the fly to the external when connected, unplug and it moves it back to the laptop screen. I have several monitors I connect to throughout the week.

I do the same thing with my tv at home, I just keep a 15-ft TB-to-hdmi cable tucked behind the tv stand. My wife and I will plug in, it pipes the video and audio to the tv system and we can play whatever shows we want via the MacBooks. She uses it a lot for MTV shows, go figure.

12. lc25 macrumors 6502

I try not to but occasionally i will hook into a 24" monitor but only use it as the main monitor not as an additional.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I use a 32" Sony Google tv via a Moshi Hdmi connector all day @ my office w/my 13" MBA on SL.

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

15. helveta macrumors member