How many user really want FireWire on new MacBooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dizzy13, Oct 17, 2008.

?

Do you really need FireWire on regular MacBooks?

1. Yes

48.8%
  2. No

51.2%
  1. dizzy13 macrumors 6502

Ok, I think the move to remove FireWire on the low end MacBooks is a good thing because the target audience doesn't need it. I assume there are a few people out there that would like to edit videos on a system that is underpowered for that task compared to the Pro, but would like to see what type of percent that is on these forums.

PS. This is a public poll

2. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

Did I use it? Yes. Do I need it?? Nope.

eSata would have been nice... but far fetched...

3. cube macrumors G5

Target audience == consumers
    consumers == miniDV
    miniDV == FireWire
    -----------------------------------
    Target audience == FireWire

4. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I voted yes. I admit that i do not really need it, but it would be really nice to have.

I will not be able to use my FireDTV (Sat Tuner) without Firewire. I have to rely on USB2 for Data Transfer to my external Terabyte HardDisks - from my experience Firewire is faster and does not take resources (or not much) from the host. If available space had been a concern for Apple not including a Firewire port they could have opted for the mini Firewire 400 (4 pin) Version. But it's all about "upselling" people to the MacBook Pro. :mad:

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Remember when Apple dropped the floppy drive? It was (if you were buying the whining) the first sign of the Apocalypse. Do you miss it? Do you even know what a floppy drive is?

6. dizzy13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple always seems to be ahead of the curve on these types of things so that's probably why there is more complaints / resistance.

I mean the air doesn't even have an optical drive anymore. In 5-10 years the cd drive will be similar to floppy with most software being delivered over the network/internet. With the price of usb flash drives dropping so fast I could even see "hard copies" of programs being sold with these instead of cds or dvds.

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Ditto.

8. sfh macrumors regular

Mb firewire

You don't need it for a macbook... i can't believe that people are whining so much. If firewire is such a huge part of what you do BUY THE PRO! I'm sorry but USB 2.0 is faster to transfer files and with the exception of some camcorders virtually every other piece of hardware can be purchased sans firewire. ...

DONT give me the junk about "...i have all this equipment ..." your current setup will not explode just because a new model came out, and nobody has a gun to your head making you upgrade.

9. cube macrumors G5

Floppy drives were obsolete and you could get a USB drive if you really needed it.

FireWire equipment is by no means obsolete and compatibility cannot be added to the MacBook.

Totally opposed situations. The floppy argument is completely bogus.

10. cube macrumors G5

I am sick of this argument. So, for access to a $5 piece of CONSUMER connectivity, you have to spend $2000 ($700 more) on a PRO model?

11. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

I want it, because I need it. I have an analog 5.1 speaker system (It's klipsch, and it has 470 watts, so its not some POS system) and because there is no firewire port, i don't have a simple way of plugging in the system

ouch.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I have 3 external drives that are Firewire only so the lack of Firewire is a bit of an issue.... especially since it's time to replace that old iBook I have.

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

FireWire equipment typically also includes USB compatibility.

14. cube macrumors G5

I have 2 FireWire TV tuners (one of them also analog video converter), and besides not having a need to replace them, elgato does not make any new ones with hardware compression.

15. cube macrumors G5

FireWire equipment == read millions of perfectly good miniDV cameras that connect digitally only via FireWire

16. dizzy13 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is one argument, but the bigger one is that MOST consumer level electronics in the past 5 years offer both FireWire and USB.

And hey, maybe we will start to see the C version of firewire which can run over Ethernet. So you could buy a FireWire to Ethernet adapter to work around this limitation if you have an older external device.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire#FireWire_S800T_.28IEEE_1394c-2006.29

17. tekmoe macrumors 68000

The topic and the poll are worded differently. 'Want' and 'Need' are two entirely different things.

Anyways, I voted no because I do not 'need' firewire as I have no devices that use it. I would have liked to have it but it did not stop me from purchasing my new MacBook 2.4.

18. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

OK, I feel your pain. I agree dropping FireWire support is a mistake. But in my original post about the floppy, my point was that all the crying and gnashing of teeth didn't bring back the floppy drive and isn't likely to bring back FireWire, either.

19. apearlman macrumors regular

No, really, I still use Firewire.

Let's be clear:
    My Firewire DV camcorder doesn't have USB.
    My Firewire external HDD doesn't have USB.
    Firewire target disk mode doesn't work with USB.
    Some people still have iPods that connect via Firewire.

Why are some people on these boards trying to convince me that I don't need Firewire anymore?

20. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Except that Floppy drives were useless pieces of crap compared to thumb drives and CD's.

Why should Firewire lose to USB when Firewire is technically and real world superior in every way shape and form.

Yeah thats progress.

21. dL. macrumors 6502

I don't use Firewire. I wish Steve gave me 3 USB instead of 2 USB + 1 Firewire.

dL

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

23. cube macrumors G5

I repeat, you can't compare:

24. isaacc7 macrumors regular

Actually, it doesn't make any sense because while many people that will buy this machine don't need it, there will be a large number of people that can't use it. No one will buy the machine because it is missing a firewire port. There are many people that will not buy this machine because it lacks the port.

Isaac

25. dizzy13 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is just how the real world works. Remember betamax vs vhs? Me either. But I believe betamax was technically a bit better but still lost out to vhs b/c of its wide adoption and ease of use.

It went differently between HDDVD and bluray where the newer and superior technology won out even though it was a whole new standard compared to the easy upgrade path of HDDVD, but it doesn't always work out this way.