How many V1 users are glad they skipped the 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RKilbane20, Jun 10, 2009.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I am now i get a slightly better version then the 3G. Most likely skip next's years iphone as well and get the one coming out in 2011 and at a subsidized price.

2. Shabbis macrumors regular

I am... I didn't find the 3G update compelling enough to upgrade.

3. apple2E macrumors regular

I'm pretty much on your schedule.

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Same here, but for the record, I think the 3g S is a big upgrade from the 3G.

5. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

+1

I get everything that the current 3G-ers have, and more, and by the time the next one comes out next year, I'll have a secure job and a post-grad money-blowing attitude :p

6. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah i worded that wrong. Plus us coming up from the V1 iphone it is a huge step up.

7. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea being an early adopter definitely has it's downsides :)

8. specify macrumors regular

I'm using mine until it breaks (not purposely trying to break it of course)

9. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

I have loved my 1st gen iPhone, but the time has really come to upgrade. The 3G S will definitely qualify as a MAJOR upgrade. Can't wait for it to come out.

10. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

already did that. My screen cracked with a tiny hairline crack along the bottom. Been waiting patiently 7 months for this new phone.

11. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

I am. Going to get a white 16 then skip the 2010 model and get the 2011 model :D

12. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I'm certainly glad I waited. We didn't have 3G service here last year, but now we do.

I have to rub it in now because next year I'll be whining that I don't get subsidized prices. :D

13. mtbright macrumors newbie

mtbright

i had to get my 3g on april 28th because my 1st gen got broken on a bike ride... i knew the new one was coming out but really didnt have a choice... I had no idea if i would have used a regular clam shell phone for about 2 weeks it would have saved me 100 bucks

14. weeman macrumors 6502

*raises hand*

June 19th cant come soon enough...

15. tekcor macrumors member

Yeah, I decided to skip the 3G because it didn't have what I wanted: 32GB. That's the key feature for me. If the 3GS didn't come in a 32GB model, I'd skip it as well. The first generation iPhone is outstanding enough as it is. Sure, EDGE is slower and I don't have GPS - but I don't care! I'm getting the S for it's storage space, the other features are just icing.

I'll probably skip next year's model as well, unless there is some super-compelling reason why I must have it. But I find that unlikely.

16. cflorio macrumors member

Me too.... I have been holding out for a 32 gig model. I did get my wife to upgrade her original iPhone to a 3G though.... at least on long trips we had one phone that had the GPS.

Very exciting that this phone will be here this soon. I'm going on a trip on the 21st, this will be very handy for me!

17. smr macrumors 6502a

Me too.

I bought my first gen 8BG iPhone from at launch here in the UK. The 16GB memory hike came shortly after, and I was hoping the iPhone would go to 32GB last June when the 3G model was launched. (I was nearly tempted to get a 16GB 3G model, but the 02 per-order fiasco held up my purchase, and after playing for a few days with version 2.0 of the iPhoneOS I decided to wait for the 32GB after all.) The 32GB memory hike was predicted for autumn last year, then again predicted before Christmas and then again at MacWorld in January.... Finally it will arrive next week!

I'm now out of my 18 month contract so free to upgrade. I think the 3G-S is a bigger step forward than most people are prepared to accept, and certainly a bigger upgrade compared with the 3G than the 3G was compared to the first gen iPhone. For me, the extra capacity is the important thing, but 2x speed, improved camera, video recording, compass, voice control, in-ear compatible headphone jack and (hopefully) less fingerprints on the screen are all worth having.

So I'm glad I kept my 1st gen iPhone, but it is now time to upgrade. I will probably go with the 18 month contract, but could imagine I will skip the next hardware upgrade (assuming it is next summer), and upgrade again in summer 2011. I think those waiting for some amazing new 4G iPhone will have a LONG wait. I have been waiting for 32GB (a simp,e memory hike) for over a year. Apple will continue to improve the iPhone, but I'm sure it will continue to be evolution not revolution, mainly because that is all it needs!

18. iGary Guest

iGary

+1

I new I'd be waiting until the end of my contract to upgrade, and the phone sounds like it will be a nice upgrade from the first generation phone.

19. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

*Raises hand*

Wish the quality of the materials were higher, but the device itself is finally worth the upgrade. The 3G just wasn't.

20. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

Not with unemployment hovering at ~10%.

Knock on wood, and be very thankful for what you have; there are many individuals today who would be grateful to have a job, let alone extra cash to 'blow'.

21. mak10 macrumors regular

I just never saw the 3G as a huge upgrade to the original... the only things added were 3G and GPS. Yeah it would have been nice to have 3G, I didn't really need GPS so that wasn't a huge selling point, but now that the 3G S has more computing power, faster 3G, video, compass stuff, better camera, it seems like a good time to upgrade... and yes, I'll most likely skip next years update unless of course it has some ground breaking feature that I can justify paying full price for...

the original iPhone lasted me this long, I think the 3G S will last me just as long (unless of course it breaks)

22. tavoss macrumors member

i was planning on skipping the 3G but i lost my 1st gen back in Feb, so i got a 3G. Now I'm bummed! But, I'm moving to Canada next month so I'm going to have to get a new Canadian contract anyway, so no big loss.

23. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I've suffered for 3 years through an engineering degree to have an internship this summer followed by a job offer at the end. As long as people like me, who thrive on technology, exist, I'll have a job. Fortunately enough for me, I'm entering a strong field with lots of job opportunities and good salaries, but to prevent the inflated ego, I'm reminded that I chose my major well before the economy sank. That's the way I think about it and I sleep perfectly fine at night.

Also, I'm not the only one out there with a mentality like this.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm glad I skipped the 3G.

It wasn't worth the upgrade plus $15 extra a month (Data plan, and 200texts).

I'm going to get this, and then get it in '11, then '13 (That is, if the world doesn't end in '12 :p)

25. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

Guess i'm in the same boat as most replying here.

I have V1 and skipped 3G cause it wasn't enough for me to change. Still love my V1 but can't wait to get the 3GS.