How many visited the same Apple Store during both launches?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ticonderoga, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Ticonderoga macrumors newbie

How would you compare the supply of iPads in the two launches?

I was at the Emeryville, CA Apple Store during both launches. On the launch day of iPad 1 the store was out of only the 16GB model. By the Friday after everything was in stock and I didn't even need to line up to get one.

This time around, the store was out of everything within an hour of launch. Moreover, the store claims that it did not get any shipment on the past Friday---exactly one week after.

What surprises me the most is not the long lines or the lack of stock for a specific model, for both are expected. What surprises me is the lack of replenishment---how come there have been only minuscule or even no shipment of any model to the store?

The only reason I can think of is Apple is building up stock for the international launch.

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Last year I preordered the WIFI iPad and then stood in line for the 3G iPad.
    The iPad 2 launch has been insane. It's like everbody and their Mom was waiting for the second one. Good for Apple but they dropped the ball with the no preorder thing.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I have gone to every iPad launch at my local store. I went to both 1st gen launches (Wi-Fi and then 3G), and went to the iPad 2 launch.

The iPad 2 launch was definitely the biggest and most insane. It was easily two times the size of the other two launches even when combined. I would say even if there was online pre-orders for the iPad 2, this launch would have still been the biggest ever, and probably still have insanely long lines.

After hearing the kind of stories of people trying to get their hands on one now, I am really happy I didn't wait and had my spot in line really early.

4. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I was at best buy for both launches. The first time there were about 15 people in line, and the second time there were close to 100 people. I really don't understand why the iPad 2 has been in such high demand.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Here is an example from how 2010's iPad launch compared to 2011's iPad launch (same location).

Modesto, Ca Apple Store in Valley Faire Mall
    ..........2010................................................................2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge)