How many watts does a plugged in MBP use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KoolAid-Drink, Jun 3, 2018.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I'm trying to be as frugal as possible with my electricity, so when a fully charged laptop is plugged in (ie, overnight or while I'm out at work), how many watts is it eating up?

This applies to both the 2-prong and 3-prong chargers.

Thanks!

2. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

What model? At most, it will be drawing the wattage that the charger is rated for (so 87W for the 15” touch bar MacBook Pro, for example).

0.087 kilowatts Times by 24 hours means 2.088kWh per day... less than a fridge and that’s when the computer is at max draw too! At about 14p per kWh, it’s literally pence per day...

3. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

rMBP 2015, 13 inch.

I guess the question I'm asking is, is it worth unplugging the charger to avoid "vampire" electricity use, when the laptop is fully charged?

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Considering it’s pence per day anyway, the cost would be negligible - I wouldn’t leave it plugged in all the time personally, however, as that’s not very good for the battery.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

Full charged and plugged in. In those conditions likely 1-10 watts. You are not using the machine so the only power needed will be to top off the battery which might 1% of the batteries 94 watts, or in worse case, lots of strange badly coded apps pulling power 10%.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.apple.com/environment/p...ch_MacBookPro_w_Thunderbolt3_PER_June2017.pdf

Here is the info for the 13" MBP from Apple's PDF link above.

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 8.18.07 AM.png