Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
SC
With the larger battery I would assume the charger must be putting out more watts.

punchdrunk55

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
I'll piggy back of this post. Is it safe to plug the iphone into the ipad charger or would that be bad. I just want to know how careful I have to be.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
SC
If the battery is larger and the charger is not putting out more watts then it's going to take longer for a full charge.

CH34P3T

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
I'll piggy back of this post. Is it safe to plug the iphone into the ipad charger or would that be bad. I just want to know how careful I have to be.
It's fine. I use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone daily. It charges the iPhone faster too.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
If the battery is larger and the charger is not putting out more watts then it's going to take longer for a full charge.

So it is the end of the world!

----------

Where can I get a bigger charger ? Is it safe ?

Why don't you just use the one that came with it and put your iPad on charge before you go to be and be done with it. It charges fast enough where it is not a problem.

Are you looking for something that will charge from zero to 199% in 10 minutes?:eek:

The battery is not really designed to be charged like that.

----------

yes i think you can get a 50w from apple for 30$

I do not think so.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Meh same 10 watt. Maybe apple will update the chargers later on iPad 4?

This is what I think Apple is going to say during iPad 4 presentation:

'we have developed a new battery technology that will allow our devices to charge nearly 20 times faster by using special battery cells.'
Seriously, this would be awesome!

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Meh same 10 watt. Maybe apple will update the chargers later on iPad 4?

This is what I think Apple is going to say during iPad 4 presentation:

'we have developed a new battery technology that will allow our devices to charge nearly 20 times faster by using special battery cells.'
Seriously, this would be awesome!

The new charger will have a microphone instead of a wall plug. It will be powered by complaints.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
I'm thinking that this is the last time around that the iPad is charged by a USB cable. Next time around it will be mag-safe/thunderbolt.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
SC
So it is the end of the world!

----------

Why don't you just use the one that came with it and put your iPad on charge before you go to be and be done with it. It charges fast enough where it is not a problem.

Are you looking for something that will charge from zero to 199% in 10 minutes?:eek:

The battery is not really designed to be charged like that.

----------

I do not think so.
I'm glad you automatically assume we can just all come home and charge our iPads overnight. I hope you never have to design something with your assumptions and lifestyle.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
c'mon guys.. everyone..

the max intake for the iPad is 5V,2A (as can be seen behind your iPad), buying a higher wattage charger, wont make your charging any faster.

the iPad can only charge at abt 10W, max. u're just wasting your money.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
c'mon guys.. everyone..

the max intake for the iPad is 5V,2A (as can be seen behind your iPad), buying a higher wattage charger, wont make your charging any faster.

the iPad can only charge at abt 10W, max. u're just wasting your money.

Yup...the device controls the charge rate, not the charger. It's not going to let you charge it any faster than it wants.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I'm glad you automatically assume we can just all come home and charge our iPads overnight. I hope you never have to design something with your assumptions and lifestyle.

You will need to make adjustments in your life.

Humans CAN adapt! You have no choice here!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'm glad you automatically assume we can just all come home and charge our iPads overnight.

I think the assumption is that everyone sleeps for a few hours each day, and that they usually have idea of when they won't be sleeping at home. :cool:

If you're always sleeping in a different place and never know until the last minute where you'll be sleeping, it'd probably be worth it to carry the charger and cable with you. Weighs all of 3 ounces.

If you don't ever sleep, then that's a different matter. :eek:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm thinking that this is the last time around that the iPad is charged by a USB cable. Next time around it will be mag-safe/thunderbolt.

Chargers are so 20th century though. It's time Apple adopted inductive charging for the Touch/iPhone/iPad. It makes sense now that you can update apps and iOS sans a computer. But I don't see thunderbolt coming to the iPad until it's widely adopted by PCs and also Mac and PC implementation of thunderbolt is 100% interoperable. The whole reason Apple dropped FW from the Apple Dock Connector, even though it was superior to USB2, was b/c it wasn't on many PCs and it wanted a unified connector. (When the PC iPod came out there was a dual FW/USB cable for a short while).

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Chargers are so 20th century though. It's time Apple adopted inductive charging for the Touch/iPhone/iPad. It makes sense now that you can update apps and iOS sans a computer. But I don't see thunderbolt coming to the iPad until it's widely adopted by PCs and also Mac and PC implementation of thunderbolt is 100% interoperable. The whole reason Apple dropped FW from the Apple Dock Connector, even though it was superior to USB2, was b/c it wasn't on many PCs and it wanted a unified connector. (When the PC iPod came out there was a dual FW/USB cable for a short while).

thats hot. my magic mouse has an inductive charger replacement, i love it.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Yup...the device controls the charge rate, not the charger. It's not going to let you charge it any faster than it wants.

I do not believe that to be true. I do know that my iPhone 4 charges MUCH FASTER when I use my iPad charger instead of the teeny iPhone charge. I also know that it charges faster in my car when using my auto charger from AT&T that charges my iPad 2.

I would not discount that a 20W charger might charge the iPad 3 faster, considering the existing 10W isn't enough to charge and play at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.