How many Watts would an External Hard Drive + Router + Cable Modem + other HDD pull?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doxavita, May 10, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Thinking of buying a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS (1000VA/ 600W)

Here's the breakdown:

1000VA / 600W (CP1000PFCLCD)

27" iMac: 310W
    Future LED Cinema: 250W
    External Hard Drive: 13.5W ( I think)
    Router + Cable Modem = 20W (Aprox?)
    Additional Hard Drive: 13W

Total: 606.5 W

Assuming the Devices are NOT at 100% load: <600W

Are my External Hard Drive, Router + Cable Modem and additional hard drive estimates accurate? Is the UPS' sizing just right?
    Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I think you are being somewhat generous on the amount of power the external HDD would use but they will be modest.

Does the CyberPower website have a runtime calculator you could check to gauge your runtime? Do you just want a few minutes to shut down gracefully or do you need more runtime for critical applications (rendering, ecommerce webshop etc)? If in doubt, ask them. See also what capacity other UPS suppliers such as APC would recommend on their site.

If you are not gaming and thrashing the iMac, you can assume it will be running at about 40-50% of its max load (more if you are using the second monitor). In the event of a long power out you could also turn off the external monitor to get extra run time.

I am using an APC SMT1000I (1000VA 670W) on the Mac Pro in my sig with one Apple 27" Cinema Display. There is a cable modem and wifi router attached too. I am using one SSD and one HDD (but it is a Caviar Green). When browsing, the whole lot reports 40% load on the UPS and 20 mins runtime. It rises to around 60% if I am gaming which drops my runtime to 10 mins or so.