how many will replace mbp with new mba

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Oct 22, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

how many intend on replacing mbp for a new mba?

2. atrac7 macrumors regular

need backlit keyboard

need that extra processing power

need more battery life

to me the MBP 13" is the perfect compromise between performance and portability. i also actually use the disc drive for netflix movies when i'm not connected to wifi (and for once see RECENT movies!)

3. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

+1

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Personally, I don't see it replacing my 15-inch MacBook Pro. Instead, I'm strongly considering a mid-spec Air when I'm on the go and leave my MacBook Pro for more intensive tasks. With an enclosure that thin, got to keep heat in mind.

5. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

No chance for me to ever buy a mba, only mbp from now on

6. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Pretty soon I feel the MBP will drop the Optical all together, say in 4 or 5 refreshes.

SD cards for cameras, software is downloaded and movies are streamed.

No optical would allow so much more.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

The current improvements are not enough for me to switch. Lower the cost, raise the CPU speed, add an internal disk drive and give it a lighted keyboard. Then it will get my attention, until then the 13" Macbook Pro fills my needs.

8. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Definitely not considering replacing. Might get one for other tasks though.
    In my main machine I need to have more RAM, choices for larger and cheaper HDDs as well as cheaper SSDs.
    Also, i'm too in love with my 15" screen. Ive personally found anything smaller a bit harder to use.
    One thing that I would love to see on the MBP however is the removal of the optical drive. I have personally already replaced mine with a SSD, but if apple removed it and designed around it we could see some nice new features (Solid state startup discs, larger battery etc)
    If you arent using your MBP for much more than surfing the web or writing documents, I would first ask why you got one in the first place, then probably recommend the change to a MBA. But personally I need the faster/upgradable MBP.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

looks like I join everyone else in saying ... sorry no way of going to the Air

1. get my own SSD

2. Dvd movies are a nice option

3. 8 GB Ram is always an option

4, 5, 6, 7, ...:cool:

MBAs have a different user base

10. Resist macrumors 68030

You want them to remove the optical drive from the MBP? That's the CD/DVD drive.

11. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I would not replace my mbp...just get the mba in addition to it.

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

13. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

MBA is not for me, although I love the concept.
    My music and iPhoto libraries would eat up 70% of a 128 GB SSD.
    When there is 500 GB SSD's at an affordable price maybe. Now it's just not for me.

14. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Exactly. I really cant remember the last time I used the "CD/DVD" drive on my laptop. Everything is changing to flash memory these days.
    Im sure some people still use it, and for them, they can buy an optional external optical drive.

15. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

LOL not touching the air at all. Not worth a dime to me.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

17. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Would love one of the new 11.6". Maybe not as a replacement, but an addition to my MBP.

Not remotely considering it at that price point though. There are better-equipped ultramobile PCs for much less money. Looks alone won't sell me on it.

18. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

same here, indeed

19. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

MBA just doesn't meet my needs. I actually still use the optical drive.

20. ldobson macrumors regular

Another vote for the 13" MBP which fits my needs perfectly. The MBA is way too restrictive! especially for the price you pay for it.

21. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

i would never have 2 laptops but rather my imac and a 11in air

22. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

If you have the money, then I think the MBA is ideally suited as a second computer.

23. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm not sure we are at the point where we can go totally CD/DVD free, nor do some want to lug around a separate drive for that purpose. But then again, I never thought computers would be rid of 3.5" drives this fast either. I guess the optical drive does take up a lot of space that could be used for more batteries.

24. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I think I will stick with the MBP except next time I will get the 15". The MBA is light and thin to the point it's uncomfortable for me.

25. tigress666 macrumors 68040

The ipad market is exactly the market I think that is more endanger of changing their minds and going for the MBA instead.

The MBA seems more aimed at people who want a supplemental second computer for ultra portability than the MBPs which seem aimed some at that crowd but also at people like me who want their laptop to also be their main computer (and therefore willing to sacrifice some size for more capability).

For me my 13" MBP is the perfect balance between capability and portability (though to be honest I wouldn't want bigger) for what I want in a computer.

I'd definitely not replace my MBP with one, but if for some reason I was considering an ipad, I'd probably be more tempted to spend a little extra for the 11.6" and get something that had a real keyboard and a full OS for really not much more size.

Though, I am not sure how well the 13" MBA will fare. It doesn't have enough of a size difference between it and my MBP that I'd think would make up for the power difference (I'd have a hard time seeing going for it when for just a little more thickness you could get more outlets, a DVD drive, a bigger hard drive with capability to install a far bigger hard drive, more RAM, a faster processor, all for just 100 dollars less than the Air). Honestly, I bet the 13" does as well as the last MBA.

But I think the 11.6" will do well. But I don't think it was aimed to replace MBPs but more as a supplemental computer (as this post proves. Not one person so far is planning on replacing their MBP with one but a few are considering adding the Air as a more portable second computer).