How many would consider replacing MBP with MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Dec 6, 2011.

?

how many would replace MBP with new MBA

1. no: MBP

154 vote(s)
    60.2%
  2. yes: MBA

69 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. add: MBA to MBP set up

33 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. tim100 macrumors 65816

How many current MBP users would consider there next notebook purchase to be a MBA?

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't. After having a 13" display for 6 years, I couldn't be happier now with a 15".

If I were in the market for a 13" display Mac, I would opt for the Air, not the Pro. But for me, I can't believe I lived without a 15" display for so long.

3. acurafan macrumors 6502a

no, i want all my ports and my superduper drive and big arse AG display!

4. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I wanted to sell my MBP after getting my MBA but the screen on the MBP is much much better colors. Its a hard choice right now! :D

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Voted

Add MBA to existing setup, but already have both. They are both great machines and I use them for different task's.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

i tried it with the 11" last week (i got a deal on amazon). the ssd was nice. the size was great. and, the mba is a pretty machine.

but, the mba lacks ram. it feels cheap (flimsy keys). the display is dull. the display has a bezel (i hate bezels).

i could put up with all the negative stuff except for the performance. it couldn't handle pdfs even remotely close to what the mbp does. too bad. maybe someday with the next upgrade.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

They're such different machines. I've just used the 13" Air for years and loved it, but now I have an iPad for portability I realised how much I missed a more powerful laptop with a bigger screen. Back to a 15" MBP and loving it.

It's all about what you're doing with it.

Like for like, a MBP owner would be unlikely to be satisfied by an Air. Just like an Air owner would balk at the thought of lugging around a MBP.

8. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how many think the macbook pro will become more live the air? how many think the pro and air lines will merge? 11-15 think form factor and 17 (pick-up truck)?

9. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Quite possible in the future. I don't think it'll happen for the next two years, though. Even Ivy Bridge chips (2012) don't give the performance and efficiency improvements to warrant this. The MBPs are pretty damn thin as it is. The 15" and 17" are some of the thinest of their kind. They're fine for now.

I considered replacing my 15-incher with a 13" MacBook Air. In the end, the lack of a dedicated GPU, lack of ports, and a sissy* processor convinced me that it was a no-go.

*Yes, a 1.8 GHz i7 will Turbo Boost, but it can't last long with the MBA's super-thin form factor and inability to effectively cool itself.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I switched a couple of weeks ago (my wife has my Early 2011 MBP). Here's what I miss:

1. RAM for Virtual Machines - I was running multiple VM's at a time so now I have to run one at a time. It was rare that I actually needed them all open at the same time so I'm just being a little more proactive about shutting them down when not using.

2. I had a hi-res screen 15", so I have lost some resolution. Obviously if you are used to the resolution of the standard 15" then it is the same, but since I am used to 1680 x 1050 it's a bit of a bummer.

3. I was running a 120GB SATA3 SSD as my main drive and a 240GB SATA2 SSD as my secondary drive (instead of an optical) which was nice. Only having 128GB worth of SSD in my MBA is a little lacking. I'm having to be a little more choosy about what I put on it. I will probably upgrade to 240GB at some point.

Now, what I like about it? Portability. I have a Mac Mini in my office with multiple monitors so I didn't need the "heavy" 15" anymore.

What I would love: A 15" MBA with 8GB of RAM. I would upgrade in a heart beat. Even better would be a quad core but I know that's not happening with Ivy Bridge!

11. Longdrive, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

Longdrive macrumors member

Did the swap from a loaded early '11 MBP 15" to Late '11 13"MBA Ultimate about a month ago and couldn't be happier. Mostly spreadsheets, surfing, email, etc. but find the MBA just so convenient from work travel to just hanging on the couch. Have a ATD at home and the MBA seems to be a fine desktop replacement for my needs.

12. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

I would consider an MBA as an addition to my MBP. My MBA would be for when I went places and when I go into the office. I would still run my Pro for intensive apps right now and my games. But a 15" MBA with 256gb SSD would be my sweet spot.

13. ethics101 macrumors regular

After a lot of research I can't suggest a 13 pro over a 13 air. I'm content with 13, but if if you're not you only have one option.

14. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I would consider it, but it would depend greatly on what was available 2-3 years from now. It will be at least that long before I start thinking about replacing the 13" MBP I just bought a month ago.

It could be that we'll all be using the iPad 5 by then and the notebook computer market will fade away. I think it's more likely that in 2-3 years there won't even be a distinction between the MBP and MBA. It's hard to say.

15. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

I am very happy with my MBP I have now and have no intentions of getting a MBA/selling it.
    The next Mac I get (may go back to Windows when this breaks, don't know) will probably be the MBA - it does everything I need and I like how it is ultra portable
    The first MBA was over priced toy, the 2nd was a bit better....the 3rd they have it right

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I bought a 13" Air and returned it within the two week return period in favor of a Pro.

I like what miniConvert said: "They're such different machines." I also agree with Palpatine: It felt flimsy (though Palpatine was discussing the 11".) That's how I felt about the 13" Air - it just doesn't feel as solid as the Pro - I was always afraid I'd hit a key and my finger would go right through it.

Since I've commented extensively on the differences between the two, I'll just say that my initial impression of the Pro offering a lot more capability for less money is even stronger after having had an Air. And note that I travel a lot for work.

17. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I'll keep my four cores and dedicated graphics card, thank you very much. ;)

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I sort of feel the same way, but upsized.

For years I lived with a 15" Macbook Pro out of habit - always had 15" Windows Notebooks.

I now sport the 17" MBP ... Macbook Air is useless for our needs.

I prefer a pick-up truck over a skateboard! :lol:

19. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

20. rcappo macrumors regular

If I were buying today, I would get the 13" MBA. When I am at home (95%), I have it hooked up to a 37" LCD with wireless keyboard and mouse anyways.

When I am on the road, size and weight matters. The 17" with 256GB SSD is really nice, don't get me wrong. But for what I am doing, the price difference and size would tip it in favor of the MBA.

21. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I'll keep my Pro.

It serves my needs. When it doesn't do that anymore, then I'll move on to something else. But that won't be for a long time. I don't think I'm going to need another computer for a while.

22. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Soon the 17" will be the last macbook pro. Almost every mac-owner will have an air then.

23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I want a 13" mba or mbp with the specs of the 15inch mbp.

But I am going to wait until May/June when ivy bridge is released.

Either way, 13" is the biggest I will go with a portable computer.

24. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

I would replace a 13", not if its a 15" or 17"