Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I'm curious how long Apple produces batteries and other parts for their discontinued phones. If I need a new battery in 2021 will Apple still be producing new ones?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Doesn't matter, by then the phone will be mostly unusable anyway or broken. They'll support it longer than it will last or you'll want to use it. Then there's always third party repair shops for batteries etc. Don't worry about it (my iPhone is 5 years old)

Reactions: tonybarnaby

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm curious how long Apple produces batteries and other parts for their discontinued phones. If I need a new battery in 2021 will Apple still be producing new ones?
They'll more than likely have batteries. They still do battery replacements on iPhone 6 and even 5 (as well as SE) phones, for example.
[automerge]1575387230[/automerge]
Doesn't matter, by then the phone will be mostly unusable anyway or broken.
iPhone 8 will be unusable or broken by 2021?

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Maybe not an iPhone, but my old 2010 MacBook Pro is still getting Safari updates.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Seems that this is more about hardware than software.

If that’s the case, I would hazard a guess around three to four years. I often jump ship when I’m out of software support (including iOS)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If that’s the case, I would hazard a guess around three to four years. I often jump ship when I’m out of software support (including iOS)
Seems like it's more given that phone models from more than 3-4 years ago can still have parts fixed or replaced.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Seems like it's more given that phone models from more than 3-4 years ago can still have parts fixed or replaced.

Going how far back you think? For Apple parts and or refurbished iPhones? A friend wants a new battery in her 6 Plus, it’s obviously long out of warranty. Might be wiser to replace it with a factory refurb 7 Plus.

paranoia

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
New England
Going how far back you think? For Apple parts and or refurbished iPhones? A friend wants a new battery in her 6 Plus, it’s obviously long out of warranty. Might be wiser to replace it with a factory refurb 7 Plus.
apple store or best buy will do it, costs 49.00 for the battery replacement. for a 6 plus.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

The oldest phones Apple services at the Genius Bar are the 5c/5s, both are 6 years old. So yes, the 8 Plus will be good for a long time, it will also recieve many more iOS versions i am convinced. By the time the phone will become obsolete, you will already have a newer model. Obsolete means that Apple doesn't service them anymore.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019

I think it’s like 50 bucks to replace the battery. You can get the kits for like 20 bucks on amazon and do it yourself as well. Much cheaper than a new phone. If you have a 6s already I would personally go up a little higher than a 7 if getting a new phone anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.