How many years of onsite and accidental drop protection do you recommend for Thinkpads?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by hajime, Apr 15, 2019.

?

How many years of Onsite and Accidental Drop Protection do you recommend for the Thinkpads?

1. 3 years

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 4 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 5 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hajime macrumors 603

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

3. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

How long to do plan to keep it prior to upgrading to something newer? If you only plan to keep it 3 years before upgrading, 5 years Onsite/Accidental doesn't make much sense.

Mostly I agree with MacDawg, don't drop your ****, but onsite is nice to have since they don't have local brick and mortar shops.

4. scmill macrumors regular

scmill

They’re tough, but accidents happen in the best of times. If it’s a TP I paid for, I put 3yrs on it because that’s about how long I use it.

Nonny

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

I am thinking about 3 or 4. The situation is that the Accidental Damage Protection option is gone once you stepped up from 3 to 4 years Onsite. I asked the chat agent and he offered me an additional year of Onsite and ADP at about $100 more.

It depends on the fan noise. If it is tolerable, then I may keep it for about 5 years. If it is still noisy, maybe 3 years. I can't tell until I have tried the machine. However, I think it is cheaper to purchase the warranty with the machine at the same time. Of course if I get a good job, I change every two years.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't invest in any onsite or accidental coverage. If you've never dropped your other machines and are fairly careful then save your money. Do you really need onsite?

I think buying an extended warranty maybe a good idea but not the onsite or accidental, I think those can get very expensive.

7. CE3 macrumors 65816

Their depot service was very fast when I used it—overnight shipping each way—so that’s what I’d opt for + ADH for 3 years.