How many years will the Watch last?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TallManNY, May 2, 2015.

1. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

While I don't think there will be an internal upgrade, apple will replace the battery. So while the first adopters on this forum may upgrade when it is possible, that watch that they upgrade from is going somewhere and someone will put a new battery in it in a year or two. With no added cell phone charge and iPhones ubiquitous, how long will each watch stay in circulation when nearly everyone can get some use out of it? Certainly the SS should be rugged enough to basically look fine a decade from now. But will the crown or button fail way before that? Other parts that might fail?

It seems a software incompatibility might be the thing that actually kills a watch. If your modern cell phone won't connect to it, then I think you won't wear it. But as long as it syncs with apps it seems like someone will want to use it.

2. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I would think the watch could last a few cycles of the phone technology-wise. I'm sure it will get new features, but as long as the SDK has the phone doing all the lifting, upgrades to the watch internals will have a smaller impact than it does for other products

3. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It will last till Apple quits supporting it which should be a long time. I would say 5 years or better with user care. Possible that the knob or button might need to be replaced but that is really all that could wear out other than the battery.

I suspect it will last as long as you would want to use it.

5. Zxxv Suspended

I would expect/want atleast 5 years out of it before I'd want to sell it. Its a watch after all. If they nobble it with software that will be a bit petty. Leaving out features sure, but don't nobble it as its slow as is from what I've seen on youtube.

6. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 601

TallManNY

It probably won't only be me using my Apple Watch though. Just like my iPads have been handed down, I suspect my watch will eventually have another owner.

You know how Cook says only 20% of the iPhone active base has an iPhone 6? Well a huge portion of the iPhone user base is never going to buy a new iPhone is my guess. My Mom is contentedly using my old iPhone 4 as her first smartphone. If it doesn't break she is unlikely to buy a new phone. Maybe I will give her my 6 someday. I suspect there are lots of old iPhones on their third or fourth user at this point. The watch might end up having they same sort of longevity.

7. Ben_Dover macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

1000 charge cycles#

8. Zxxv Suspended

And 2000 presses of the button , 4000 revolutions of the digital crown