How may I spec out my Late 2008 uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhlee96, Jul 13, 2009.

1. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

Unlike the new June 2009 uMBPs, I cannot install 8GB RAM on my current MBP. I currently have 4GB RAM. Is there anything I can do about this?
    Also, I have a 320GB Hard Drive, but I have heard about SSDs (Solid State Drives) and they drastically improve speed. How much is the maximum memory for an SSD?

So, where do I go to upgrade my computer after I have decided to upgrade my RAM and Hard Drive? Please don't say upgrade it yourself, because...well, I'm actually thirteen. Trying to upgrade my computer myself will result in a massive repair bill, and what's worse than that?

UPDATE: I am not in Shanghai, I will be in Sydney when I upgrade my uMBP.

2. Yokomo macrumors newbie

lhlee,

I know you are thirteen, check this site out. http://www.ifixit.com/

Picture and instruction on how to install new HDD and ram very very simple, it depends how much money you got to spend on SSD, 256GB is the biggest at the moment.

You coming over to Sydney to study ?? ;)

3. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Yep. Much better than Shanghai- there's actually an Apple Store there.
    Are you sure SSDs are that small? Aww, there is only 30GB free on my laptop now. :eek:

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Before you say you can or can't do something, look up your model on ifixit.com and see if it looks like you can do it yourself.

You can pull out one of your 2 gig sticks and put in a 4 gigger for a maximum of 6 gigs total. The largest ssd's I've seen is 256 gig models; but if you wait, price should come down and capacity should go up.

If you decide, frak that, there's no way I'm going to DIY, try going to a local 3rd party apple authorized service dealer and see if they'll do that.

5. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Hmm, if I take out one of my 2GB sticks and put in a 4GB stick, then wouldn't I be able to do so with the other 2GB stick?

6. Snowbound macrumors regular

Yes, the maximum total for your model is 6gb so you can only put in one 4gb stick.