How much abuse has your laptop taken?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by luminosity, Nov 9, 2008.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

As the thread title indicates, how much abuse has your laptop taken? My MacBook Pro is on the go five days a week thanks to my job, and in the year and a half I've had it, it has acquired an impressive array of scratches, dings and even had a couple falls (one last week saw it slide off my lap sideways onto the floor while open).

It's also missing two of the feet on the bottom. Just looking at it now, it's hard to remember when it was completely new.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My Dell Inspiron has Vista installed on it. I think that's about as much abuse a computer can take.

(It also has Ubuntu Linux on it which I use 99.9% of the time)

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

well if your talking about beat up kind then i got none

but the CPU probably took a lot of beating, i have been using handbrake for a lot of dvds and lots of video converting and editing

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Although i have it for like 3 months it has no scratches. My other MBP which i had it for 9 months didn't have any of them either.

I take a good care of my babies...!:D

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

the only abuse this laptop gets (macbook pro classic) is the cpu, i have a techshell case for it, and a iskin for the keyboard.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Something has baked onto the underside of my MBP, but thats about it, the top bit of metal above the superdrive has warped quite badly though...

7. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

haha classic :p

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

My laptops are usually transported in bags and I'm not careless. Nevertheless, my Macbook Pros from 06 - 08 have taken a number of dings in regular, protected-bag portage which I've either had repaired, sold the machine or just replaced.

Due to this the typical replacement time for each my MBP's in mobile use has ended up an average of about every 4 months out of necessity (I don't use cosmetically compromised machines), as opposed to the voluntary 9-12 month cycle I have for other, better quality (i.e. non-Apple) notebooks.

9. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

My Laptop has had a LOT of abuse, and none of it by me. I got my PBG4 from a friend for dirt cheap, because it didnt work, the outer case is badlt scratched dented and in some places warped. Some of the dents in the displays case are pushing againct the back of the display giving a slightly bright spot thats only realy notisible when the display is black. I think he dropped it aswell, because the case at the corner at the battery tray bows out either side of the corner, The RAM slot cover was buckled, I streightned it and now theres a gap along one edge between the main case and the cover. and the charger was goosed, severe arcing at a split neer the jack and the electronics in it wernt too hot either because he was still trying to use the charger. Ooh and the battery needs replacing/reconditioning, because he left it fully discharged for 14 months. One hard disc replacement, new adapter, 1GB Ram stick, an airport card and a new power adapter later and its running great, just looks a bit battered.

10. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't "abuse" my Macbook, per se, except for a few drops. I carry it with me everywhere, in and out of my backpack many times a day with no protection. It's been so much better than my Inspiron, which practically fell apart after about six months, on top of being coated with such poor . . . whatever it is, that the entire silverish-surface rubbed off the handrest area from typical use.

By the way, Sesshi, I read that "I'm a PC. So?" article, and as much as I know you hate Macs, do you really take that guy seriously at all? I'm running on the assumption that that isn't you (since I don't know who you are), but really? "Everytime I use a Mac, the lack of a right click button makes me feel like I'm losing a limb?" That's possibly one of the biggest loads of bollocks I've ever heard.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's why I'm extremely disappointed with the move to all aluminum. I don't see them to keep making the White MB either. I'll keep my last rev BlackBook for as many years as I can, then I'm not sure what I'll do for a laptop.

12. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

My MBP looks surprisingly good. It travels to and fro amongst work and home, but inside a neoprene sleeve that gets tucked into my work bag. It doesn't have any scratches or dings... but my cat has ripped keys off my keyboard. I got them all back on, but some of them have broken pegs on the scissor apparatus under the key. some day when I'm less lazy, I'll buy new scissor mechanism thingies and replace them - assuming I remember which keys were affected.

My boyfriend's MBP is quite dinged up. It has several decent ding marks on the top casing from him leaving it on the floor and the cat knocking stuff off the dresser onto it. He's insane (the boyfriend). Oh well, his money, not mine.

13. tdevers macrumors regular

Mine's not to bad. THe invisible shield helps to protect it a lot. The corners have worn quite a bit from being in my bag. It's just really dirty right now. Can't wait till I get home in December to scrub this bugger up!

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

None of you have anything on me.

literally the only parts of my macbook that have not been damaged in some way are the bluetooth card and the isight camera.

-The standoff's on the lid casing broke off and I glued them back on.

-The right hinge snapped as a result of this, I replaced it after gluing the standoffs back together

-The bezel is broken in the two corners, I've superglued it together though

-The hinge cover has a little broken plastic on the inside

-The upper case and keyboard is massively discolored, the edge is cracked/glued in various places and the right arrow key a few of the letters (p k and ; ) are on the blink

-The optical drive broke early on so I removed it to save weight

-The ethernet port on the logic board is broken

-The lcd has been smashed once, I've replaced it

-The wifi card ariel connector went on the blink so I replaced it with an N card from a mac pro kit

-The hard drive has died four times

-The battery died twice soon after I got it and was replaced under applecare, the current one has done ~1200 cycles though

-The standoffs along the front of the case on the left are nearly all fractured

-The fan died, I had to solder the cable back together to get it working again

-The charger has been replaced four times under applecare due to dying from various mag"safe" failures (shorting out and burning twice, the springs in the pins going out and finally the cable boiling open)

I think that's it but I'm not 100% sure.

15. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

^^Dude this is not just an ordinary abuse!! You have killed it!

16. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Damn, you're my kind of woman - were I into women! :D

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It's still alive, I'm typing on it now.

My old g3 ibook is very nearly properly dead. Literally every part has some kind of flaw, it got to the point that i'd repair it and then it'd break a week later in some way. I replaced it as I was spending more time repairing it than I was using it successfully, as is it still just about boots if you coax it right but all of the networking has failed and the lcd only works if you hold it at a certain angle.

18. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

This must be "the bad luck!"

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Luck has nothing to do with it, I absolutely hammer my machines through using them so much.

20. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

A lot.
    The power supply port doesn't even work anymore.
    I have to charge my battery with my mom's computer.
    My stupid sister dragged it around the house while plugged in.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My MBP is still in good shape. It is less than a year old and doesn't get taken places very often. It has some very small minor scratches on the case.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My 12" Powerbook is just about as like-new as is possible for a computer that's nearly 3 years old. There are a few palm-rest tiny black dots from sweat, the shiny finish on the latch button is starting to come off a bit and the sleep light flickers sometimes. One or two of the corners have some you-have-to-look-hard-for-them kind of nicks. I always carry it in a soft case inside my backpack and most of the time it's hooked up to my 20" dell monitor and a keyboard so it doesn't get that kind of wear. I'm not at all the kind of guy to take super good care of my electronics...my room is messy, my computer is covered in stickers and stuff but I'm not a klutz and don't drop my stuff, therefore my computer is still in good shape and my iPod still works after 5 years.

23. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

So far, none. My mbp spends most of it's time glued to my desk... Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

24. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

[​IMG]

You're all liars. :) I don't see any proof of abuse here.

25. yoppie macrumors 6502a

My Core Duo MacBook is in pretty good shape. I have no scratches, dents, or dings. I have dropped it on the ground twice but both times it was in an Incase sleeve so no damage was done. I love my Mac.