How much actual space on a 16GB ipod touch 2nd Generation?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 80sarcades, Oct 4, 2008.

1. 80sarcades macrumors newbie

Someone asked this question earlier for the 8gb version...

I'm planning to purchase a 2G touch in the next few weeks (the 16GB) and wanted to know how much actual space was on a new one. I have a small (relative to most) music collection but the rest of the space would be for movies, photos, etc.

Is it worth it to spend the extra $100 and get the 32GB? Yes, I know, if you're already spending $299 then what's another $100? :D However, I plan to use it as long as the original/extended warranty lasts since I don't have to have the 'latest' device out there. Like my 2G nano, it will get good use by the time I'm done with it.

Also, how much space (in general) do apps take up? Not that I plan to get very many, but always nice to know.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

For mine, the formatted space was 14.52GB

Right now I have used 12.88 GB and have 1.64 Free.

The allocation in MB is:

2.37 Audio -- 506 Songs, 14 Podcasts (I really need to get around to listening to those...)
    8.91 Video -- 5 Movies, total minutes for movies is 582 (That's about 65 min. per GB)
    1.10 Photos -- 1747 photos.
    368.8 Apps -- 75, I have actually around 70 on my iPod, 5 I deleted, but are still in iTunes.
    155.4 Other -- I think this includes game saves and cache, temporary things like that.

I'm personally happy with the 16 GB version myself. Yes it would be nice to have full 32GB so I could just have the movies on there all of the time, but if I do add movies, its not like I'm going to be able to watch them all before the next time I charge it (plug into computer), so I will just uncheck the the old ones on the iPod already and check the new ones I haven't seen yet.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

true .. very true. if u do buy a 32 gb one. ur just gonna fill it up for the sake of filling it up anyways. unless u have a lot of rly high quality music as well as video and like a bazillion apps.

4. 80sarcades thread starter macrumors newbie

No...no high quality songs or anything like that. I am looking forward to the videos and podcasts, however, but since my laptop isn't that far away I didn't see the need for the extra space unless there was something I didn't know about. I'd rather spend the extra money on other stuff, anyway:D

Thanks for the help!

5. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

14.52 here also

4.53 gb audio
    4.01 gb videos
    2.36 gb photos
    34.9 mb apps
    160.8 mb other
    3.44 gb free

i record all my audio in 320kbs so i have much less room for songs

668 songs
    8 videos
    3740 photos

6. Earley008 macrumors member

It will probably have one back by the time i get a reply for this however i am setting up a friends ipod touch and it is 16Gb. Yet with nothing on it, it says 6.7 (around about) free space. Im installing latest update now.

Any one else heard/Experienced similar thing

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

The reason that there there is not truly 32GB on a 32GB iPod Touch/iPhone is because firmware and core application. Which are some pretty big files!.

David

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

The reason that there there is not truly 32GB on a 32GB iPod Touch/iPhone is because firmware and core application. Which are some pretty big files!.

David

9. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

Yeah on my 32G I have about 29.8 actual space available.

10. amycishere macrumors 6502

Like the OP I am also hoping to use the device for awhile. I also have 14.52 in my 2g 16b so I'm glad I have the correct storage here. Right now, I have almost 3 gb in music, 1 movie at like 1.2 gb and like 220 mb in apps. I really try to by conscience of how much space I use as I want to have plenty of room for the future.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

That, and the whole "1024 x 1000" thing manufacturers have going on.

12. CSilver macrumors 6502

hmmm

The mp3 player I have now is an Irivier N10 512mb :p I have been using it for almost five years now... :rolleyes: Last couple of years I have been attracted by Ipod touch and am willing to get one since my N10 is dying on me :C.
    I also can't decide which one to get :C 16G or 32G.... I don't have a huge collection of music but I always think its safe to get the latest or biggest since I do use the device for long enough to get most out of :p

Any advice?

13. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

my 8GB one seems enough for me.
    do we really need store many hi-def movies or thousands of songs here?
    i use 2G for songs, 2G for movies. 1G for photos, and 1G for apps.
    really enough, i guess.