How much am i looking at to fix

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NDefer, Oct 13, 2011.

1. NDefer macrumors member

a 13" mbp.

It has a fried HD, potentially more damage.

How is apple at fixing these things if I brought it to them

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Replacing a HDD on a mbp is a relatively beginner level task. I would suggest that if you are not under warranty, look into buying a replacement from somewhere like newegg.com or amazon.com and perform the fix yourself. You may need a Torx screw driver, and will definately need your install discs.

If you are really really not comfortable, then my estimate is somewhere around 80$ for labor + cost of hard drive. FYI Apple will only put oem hard drives back in which are marked up in cost (and perhaps a worse brand than you would buy independently).

ALSO, if you decide you would like to give it a try, send me a PM with your serial number so I can determine your specific model. I can then send you a pdf of the instructions. OR if you already know your model; i.e. mid 2009 mbp or whatever, just share that instead of serial number.

3. oxfordguy, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

When you say "It has a fried HD, potentially more damage" - do you know what actually happened to cause the fried HD and why there might be other damage? Replacing the HD is pretty straightforward (and an opportunity to get a better one of SSD), but if you've potentially got other things damaged, that's more of a concern (says someone who's MBP won't currently turn on...)

4. nicklad macrumors 6502

Do you actually mean your hard disk? What makes you think that specifically? What issues are you actually experiencing?

5. NDefer thread starter macrumors member

Only reason I say so is because apparently the laptop has been looked at by bestbuy but couldn't fix it? So the person bought a new laptop, but im thinking maybe he just got suckered intobuying a new laptop rather then bestbuy just fixing the basic issue.

6. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

If that's the case, how do you know it's the hard drive? What is it doing? What is it NOT doing?

7. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Indeed, there's lots things that could potentially go wrong with a computer other than the hard drive, though admittedly the hard drive is a common cause of failure, as contains moving parts (unlike SSDs)