How much apps can iPhone 5 handel in BACKGROUND on iOS 7 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by $M.H$, Apr 5, 2014.

1. $M.H$ macrumors member

How much apps can iPhone 5 handle in the BACKGROUND on iOS 7 ?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's automatic and apps held in a suspended state will be closed fully as and when needed.

3. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

It depends on what apps you have open. Games will take up more RAM than apps so you will be able to keep less of them in the background.

I've managed to keep 21 apps whereas on iOS 6, I could only go as high as 18.

4. $M.H$ thread starter macrumors member

18 App ! ,, I can open only 3 apps on my iPod touch 5 {iOS 7.0.4} ,, is that normal ?

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It depends on the apps

6. $M.H$ thread starter macrumors member

Facebook / Twitter / Photoes
    if I open a 4th APP and go back to the Facebook it will restart :"-(

How can I fix the LOW RAM problem ??

7. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Let me rephrase the OP's question a bit.

How many apps can you have open in 5/5S without them refreshing when you go back to them, e.g. open, Safari, eBay, Shazam, YouTube, Viber, Calendar, Mail, Dropbox do something in each of them and then go back to Safari... will it start up instantly? Or will it refresh?

On 3GS with iOS 6, I found about 3 apps is max. Open eBay, Safari and SkyDrive and you're pretty much on the verge of one of them being unloaded from RAM and having to refresh.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm not a big user of them, but I think that Facebook and Twitter are quite large as memory footprint, especially if your profile/the profile you are visiting are rich in contents such as photos and videos.

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I can keep 32 apps open in the backround on my 5c

10. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Well I've had mixed result from my 4S (same except screen size). I'll sometimes have 50 apps in the multitasking bar and the very last app is still in the memory but the 2nd app in memory is killed off. The max I've had with the 4S is around ~10. The other poster mentioning about 18 is about right since it does have twice the memory.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Most of them are probably not in background but suspended ...

12. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

13. cynics macrumors G3

If you just count the windows it's probably in the hundreds. Most of those apps have been pushed out of memory and are technically closed though.

It depends on what you are doing. You might be able to keep a couple of games open, or 20 note taking apps.

I'm still on a 4S but I found using the camera app and taking a picture nearly kills off all the apps that are in a suspended state.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Just ONE game like real racing 3 and you can keep not more than 2 apps opened .... game included :D

15. SimonSucrier macrumors newbie

How many apps can you keep in the background of your iPhone 5

I currently have 88 apps opened in the background of my iPhone 5 on iOS 7, and each app works perfectly. I can jump from the first app in the multitask straight to the last one, without any problem.

Cheers!

16. recoil80 macrumors 68000

It depends on the apps.
    Remember that an app in background may be suspended, so you can see it on the list and you can switch back to it, but it is reloaded from scratch just as it was closed.
    I'd say you can have about 10 apps in memory at the same time, if none of them is a game with lots of graphics.
    If you switch between more apps some of them will be suspended, so will need to reload their content when you go back to them.

17. applebro macrumors member

Unless they make the iOS take up more RAM, who cares about how many apps you can have open. The more you have open the less your battery life is

just sayin'