How much average is EOL discount on MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robo456, Aug 6, 2008.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Hey guys... I was curious if anyone had any experience in how much a model line is usually discounted after the new line comes out?

I'm going back and forth whether to buy a Macbook now or later. I'm not interested in the new model if it's going to be aluminum; I like the white. I qualify for the educational discount so that's a given, and I really don't need the Touch so I'd probably try to sell that off.

So it comes down to which is the better deal:

a) Buy MB now with edu discount, sell off Touch

or

b) Hope Apple drops the price of the old model when the new models are released and hope that they'll take the edu discount

Thanks for any info!

--rob

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Probably a) is your best bet. You don't get edu discount on a refurb. I have never known Apple to reduce the price on the "old" model - the new one "might" be cheaper than the current model though........

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

if they refresh the mac model..they wont "officially" sell the old model. It would be sent to the refurb store. Education discount for base mac is $999. If you get refurb once new model comes out....i would think $799 maybe...

just get the touch now. You cant beat that deal.

4. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks for the info guys!

Only thing that has caught my attention is the possible X4500 chip upgrade. That might be worth waiting for. I play World of Warcraft alot, so every little bit of video helps. Ugh, decisions decisions.

--rob

5. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

I just posted this in another thread regarding the education discount.

"Something to note, is that you can use your education discount in the clearance section. When the Penyn MBPs came out, I got a Santa Rosa model (prior season) for $500 less. The base model was priced at $1699, and when I logged into my school store, I got it for $1499 brand new. It won't be eligible for a free iPod though."