How much battery do you lose overnight?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by minature, Oct 10, 2015.

1. minature macrumors newbie

How much of your battery percentage goes down overnight?
    Please leave details:
    -Phone Model
    -How many hours its been on standby
    -Phone Info: wifi/nowifi, brightness level, background app refresh, etc. etc.

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

iPhone 6S Plus - 128gb Silver
    Full charge, DND mode, face down. I loose 0% at night.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

6S+ and I leave it in airplane mode overnight. I typically lose zero to 1% over 4-8 hours.
    Of course I would expect to lose practically nothing whilst in airplane mode and not using the device.

4. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

6S 128gb.

It's in airplane mode while I sleep for about 7-8hrs, and loses 0-1% per night. It was at 100% last night before bed and it was at 100% when I woke up.

5. FloridaGary macrumors regular

iPhone 6
    7-1/2 hrs standby overnight
    Wifi
    App refresh turned off on all but 3 apps
    100% charge / no loss overnight

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

128GB 6S+
    No idea, probably none. The screen is on all night as a bedside clock.
    No WiFi. I pay for cellular, not for my cell company to use my own WiFi. Low brightness level, background app refresh off.

I lose 0% at night because I plug my phone in at night and use it as a bedside clock/alarm. In fact, I gain battery percentage at night because it's plugged in.

However you use your phone is totally up to you, but I will never understand the idea of going to sleep with your phone off the charger - except in cases where it's just not an option.

7. SlyMaster13 macrumors member

SlyMaster13

Its typically rare to lose a large amount of battery overnight unless your running applications. I typically lose like 5% at the most.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

iPhone 6S Plus 64 GB Sim Free
    Using the inductive charger to charge my phone without a cord (of course I had to buy the receiver to put it on my phone)
    What is nice is that once it's fully charge it automatically turns off charging. So when I wake up, stand by time varies from 5-7 hours, and 30+ minutes of usage(screen off) and still at 100% when I wake up.

9. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

128GB Space Gray 6S Plus.

0 - 1% battery loss over around 8 hours. WiFi, Bluetooth, background app refresh and auto downloads, auto brightness.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

My phone typically gains anywhere from 0 - 100% battery overnight.

11. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

8% here and that's with 4 bars signal. If down to one then I loose a lot more.

Based on apples standby stats, a phone fresh out the box with all default settings will loose 10% per 24 hours of standby. So overnight expect anywhere from 5-10%, depending on your signal strength and what other stuff you have enabled.

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In airplane mode, 6-7 hrs of sleep, about 0%
    In normal mode, wifi on (and I basically don't disable anything on my iPhone) for the same period is about 3-4%

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Actually there are reasons...
    Lithium based batteries suffer from full discharge but also from full charge. So to keep a lithium battery constantly at 100% isn't the best idea.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hear that that has been debunked - or at least that Apple states there is no issue with leaving a phone on a charger.

I believe it used to be an issue, but since at least the iPhone 5 (if not earlier) it's not anymore.

I have never encountered an issue with doing this, either on my iPhones, my laptops, my iPad or any other device I've left on a charger.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

There is nothing to be debunked here. It's just chemical, and it's not an issue, just normal behavior of a lithium battery.
    You can do whatever you wish with your device, but the battery will suffer for staying topped many hours every single day.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Shenanigans.

I have left all my phones, 3G-6S Plus, plugged in overnight and while I am sitting at my desk. Never had a battery issue. I also use the 10w iPad charger as well.

17. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

My 6s+ I keep it without power saving and whatnot and if at 100% wake up at 100%

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

What a ridiculous article you linked here ....

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

And in particular this

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Li-ion does not need to be fully charged, as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because a high voltage stresses the battery.

Read if you wish, it's quite technical, or don't do it, I don't care.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Which is why Apple sets the phone to charge until full, then stop charging, then trickle charge as necessary.

So, you are right in regards to the function/characteristics of the battery, but you aren't recognizing Apple's adaptation to those characteristics.

Apple, through design, has made it so that the user does not have to consider this in leaving their phone on charger.

21. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

The very next sentence "Choosing a lower voltage threshold, or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime.". I can assure you Apple engineers chose the appropriate voltage thresholds for charge/discharge so that this isn't an issue.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Once the battery reaches full charge it uses power from wall, not the battery.

Honestly, you do what you think is best and we'll keep doing what we have been doing without issue. It's a mobile device, not a faberge egg.

23. Zombiecrowd macrumors regular

Just so you guys know Apple doesn't allow your phone to get near zero or 100 % ever. That's just software telling you where the battery level is. For example when you drain your battery and it gets to where it will tell you zero the phone powers down so the true battery isn't reaching zero.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This.

Exactly.

25. Newtons Apple, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sorry not going for that. I have owned every iPhone and numerous Blackberrys and plugged them all in before I go to bed and unplug when I wake and the battery would spend a good bit of the evening and morning at 100%. Not going to harm the batteries a bit.

Apple put a lot of technology in our devices and there is little you can do to harm the battery except run them to dead or near dead. Apple has even helped the dumb by not allowing you to really run the battery to 100% dead and will shut down before that happens. The new batteries are awesome and have little to no memory and last a long time. I hear people waking in the middle of the night just to unplug their charged phone so it does not harm the battery. So many rumors and misinformation out there.

Best advice is to use your phone and not worry about it. Charge it while you sleep and use it with no worries.