How much battery does being connected to phone drain both devices per day?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TJ82, Oct 4, 2017.

1. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Was originally going to jump on an LTE watch, thought it'd be great as an emergency device when riding long distances and could let me leave the phone at home. Having second thoughts about that now and thinking about just getting the regular version because, well, I fancy a smartwatch to see what the fuss is about.

How does this work practically then. The watch and phone are always connected by bluetooth I take it. And then there is a range limit? How much battery would that burn on the watch and phone? The LTE version is usually connected to your phone too anyway though, so no difference really?

Just wondering how it is to live with, if it's a massive pain to always keep them paired and connected and charged..

I'd be using it to play music a lot when I'm on the indoor trainer and read messages on WeChat quite a bit.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You put the devices on the charger while you sleep.

That is it.

3. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

So if I was out for a long ride, 6 to 10 hours, playing music, using GPS etc, it'd handle it?

4. Newtons Apple, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

GPS could be a problem if used the whole time. The watch battery is limited. LTE would take a HUGE hit on the battery so streaming via LTE is not going to work.

5. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

If I could get a solid 5 to 6 hours with GPS, Strava App, and music playing I'd be pretty happy with that. Been digging around, can't find anything to back that up though. Can you even have Strava and music playing at the same time? Does that count as multitasking?

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

In active exercise mode, streaming on LTE, you’ll get approximately 5 hours of use. When not maximizing the usage of the Watch and you’re just using it in everyday life, the battery will easily last all day.

7. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Okay nice, that'd work for me. What about Strava and music (stored on the watch), can I do both at the same time?

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Add-on comment: I’m an ultrarunner and understand where you’re coming from. For my daily 2-hour run, the Apple Watch will work just fine. But when I go out for a run in excess of 20-25 miles (4-5 hours), my Garmin Fenix and my iPod Shuffle will have to do. That combo can easily get me through a 10-hour run. Once I go past 12 hours of running, I have to either have to run while recharging with a tethered battery bank or I have to swap out devices.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    One more thing to consider is the Apple Watch recharges relatively quickly. After a 4-hour ride, 45 mins on the charger while you’re getting cleaned up should get you through the remainder of the day. If you drain the Watch early in the morning though, you’ll need more charging time. From a depleted state of charge, it takes about an hour and a half to get to 80%. The last 20% takes an additional hour.

If it was 10 am though and my 5-hr workout was through and I just had a normal 10-11 hours ahead of me, a 60% state of charge is more than enough to get me through the day.