How Much Battery Drain from Flash Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cshel24, Aug 7, 2014.

1. cshel24 macrumors member

I feel kind of silly asking, but hey there is no such thing as a stupid question (only stupid people)?

I got this bright idea... I only have 128gb of storage on my MBA. Which is should be enough for me. I have a tiny little flash drive (one of those the size of the ones that work w/a wireless mouse). I put my movies on the flash drive.

My question is, if I was to just leave that flash drive plugged into my MBA all the time, would it reduce my battery life by much?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It would be very little. Well worth the little extra power to add more storage.

3. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Yes very little
    Maybe you can use this?

http://www.stclairsoft.com/Jettison/

4. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

Not enough to notice the difference in battery life, losing 5-10 mins out of 12-15 hours isn't much.

If you're going to be leaving something like that in all the time and you don't use the SD slot for anything else, why not look into something like Nifty Drive?

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I have a Patriot Autobahn mini flash drive. I've kept it plugged in to my 2012 11" MBA for 2 solid years without a single problem. I keep my iTunes and iPhoto library stored solely on that. I only have a 64GB SSD and the flash drive is 32GB. Got 50% more storage for about $20. I've noticed very little to no battery life difference.

6. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

Do you eject the flash drive before you put the MBA to sleep or shut it down?

7. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I have a Transcend Jetdrive Lite 360 (64GB) half length SD card as an internal Time Machine drive and I've used USB flash memory in my Mac for years.

You shouldn't have to eject the drive before putting it to sleep or shutting it down. As long as the drive isn't pulled out while the Mac is asleep you'll be OK. As for shutting down, don't worry about it.

The only problem I've come across is when my battery is completely dead and I plug it in and then turn it back on again. OS X moans that the drive wasn't ejected properly. Each time its happened (twice so far) I've run a disk check in Disk Utility to ensure that its not got any problems with it.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

As pacmania1982 stated, you don't have to eject it before shunt down or sleep, just make sure you don't remove the drive while the computer is sleeping because when you wake it up you will get the warning message about possibly losing data with removing the drive without ejecting. Again, if the battery were to completely die while the USB drive is plugged in, it will force eject when it goes to sleep and when returning on you will get the same warning message.

9. .cyanide macrumors newbie

I go from 10-12 hours down to 8-9 hours with a 32gb usb stick plugged in, even if it's not doing anything.

10. iizmoo macrumors 6502

You have to eject the drive. Something about it being attached not allowing the Mac to go into deep sleep with the lid is closed. I tested it when I got my SD card a few months ago and it was true.

Had to install sleep watcher and program some scripts to automatically dismount/remount my SD card on sleep/wake . Once I did that it was fine, kept SD card in for about 4 months now. Don't really notice battery drain.

11. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I was more concerned with data corruption. Losing a couple of minutes of battery life isn't a big deal to me.

To your point, if the the computer never goes into deep sleep, does having a flash drive or hard drive plugged into the usb port of an iMac mean that the computer never goes into deep sleep? The couple of times that I have left flash drives and hard drives plugged into my iMac for days at a time, it appears to be going into deep sleep normally.

12. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

It may stop your MacBook from going into its deeper sleep state, which will effect battery.

(quoted from
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392 )

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My MBA goes to sleep just fine with either a USB Jumpdrive or SD card installed.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will sleep fine, but it won't enter the standby mode mentioned by ManicMarc.

Regular sleep will use about 1% of the battery per hour of sleep. If you have a machine that supports standby and it enters standby sleep after three hours of regular sleep the battery can last up to 30 days in that mode.